Minieres Disease surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed in January and my doctor wants to performs surgery. Has anyone had the Endolymphatic sac decompression, and the Endolymphatic shunt surgeries. How envasive are they and did it cure your vertigo? Did you lose all of  your hearing?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had the shunt surgery last July. I believe it helped my Menieres, although I still have some vertigo, tinnitus and hearing did not improve. It seemed to shorten duration and frequency of attacks for me.

Every one is different..........everyone has different reactions to things. Don't take what you read on here as medical advice......just people's experiences.

I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Like with any surgery, think twice before you go through with it. I have never been a good surgery patient so I only will have surgery if I have a life threatening issue. Just remember that no surgery is a miracle cure and thing could go bad and things do go bad. Sorry to be a Debbie downer  but once you touch something, there is no going back. Good luck with what ever choice you make
    • Posted

I am thinking more than twice. Surgery is so invasive I really am exploring all options
    • Posted

arax, dbmarie,

I agree surgery should be a last resort. I tried one gentimyacin injection and it didn't take. I tried steroid pills and a dieuritic and low sodium diet and hated the side effects and still had an attack. I did the surgery looking for a cure and of course that didn't happen but it is better than it was.

• Posted

Hi, what is that exactly do they di? I had a stapadectimy over 20 years ago. Is it something like that? It worked for a long time and no longer does. I am having exploratory surgery in July to see if it’s causing my problem with vertigo. Do you get vertigo?
  • Posted

This is my first time on the forum. After suffering from severe vertigo attacks for years and trying all of the procedures ,diet ,pills,  steroid injections.,  I decided to have the sack decompression surgery   About four years ago. Since the surgery I have not had any more vertigo attacks .   It took a few months before I was able to fully function at work after the surgery. I am now 59 years old and have semi retired. Over the last year I seem to not feel good , or “right”.   It’s difficult to explain but I am looking for others that have gone through this procedure and have gone through similar circumstances     Not sure what my next steps are or should be. There are many days that I cannot do Much.    Sleeping seems to be the most difficult, getting genuine rest .   Looking for others that have any ideas or a certain doctor that helped them.    What is the oil that you put in your ear ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.