minimal flow

Posted , 7 users are following.

Within the past couple weeks, I started experiencing urinary issues. I have the urge to go, in some cases every 20 to 30 minutes day and night. Also, in some cases, I either can't go or have 4 or 5 drops when I do. I do have an enlarged prostate and started taking Oxybutynin. Any thoughts or recommendation?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dan,

Since this came on suddenly you need to find out of you have a UTI. Contact your doctor or uro for a test - this is always the first step.

Tom

• Posted

Did this prescription come from a GP or a urologist? You need to see a urologist, and get a cystoscopy.

• Posted

Hello, Dan:

"IF" your enlarged prostate is the issue (i.e. the mere size is the cause of the problem), then it could become a matter of how to control/manage the size. In my case, after an MRI, it was determined I had a 265g prostate. Mine was not large, but rather ENORMOUS. So big, it was not only narrowing the urethra passage, it was also pushing up into my bladder. Weak stream led to full retention. Overall, not good and for me personally, it had to go.

Start by getting smart on not only your specific problem (know your body), but the smorgasbord of choices out there to tame or kill the monster. This site is full of "choices" that guys have made for there specific problems. Some are short-term, some are long-term. Some are non-invasive, some are invasive. You will read about CIC, meds, beads, bands, steam, laser, removal, etc. Of course let's not forget about what is available in your area, whether insurance or self-pay, and your personal tolerance.

Dave

• Edited

i have same/similar issue. my problem is constant urge to pee. no pain. i really dont need to pee, i just have the feeling i do. if i listen to the feeling i would be peeing every 5 minutes a few drops. but i dont listen to it and only pee few times a day. about 4 times if i dont drink coffee, double that if i do. no night peeing. oxybutinin was 1st thing i was suggested to try but along many other medications i went through it didnt work. my doc said that my prostate looks fine, symetric, anodular, just somewhat enlarged. still not sure weather its due prostatitis or bhp. i am avid biker and my issues started after very cold bike ride.

if you brave go for cystoscopy, thats what i am thinking of doing next, along with pelvic floor therapy.

• Posted

Cavo,

I recently tried Azo Bladder Control capsules (twice per day) and they REALLY helped to calm my bladder. Then I added simple Pumpkin Seed Oil capsules (Azo is basically powdered Pumpkin Seed) and that improved things even more. The Azo is fairly expensive (about 33c per) but the Pumpkin Seed Oil capsules are only 8c per. Worth a try. Works MUCH better than the trospium I have been taking. I was experiencing the same constant urge to pee as you, but now things are much improved after three weeks with the Azo and Pumpkin Seed oil.

Tom

• Posted

hi, thanks for the tip. i believe i have tried AZO. is it the stuff that turns your pee orange? if so, i didn do anything to me. i was also on trospium for some time but only got side effects. i will give pumpkin seed oil a try thought. that is one of a few supplements i have not tried yet.

• Posted

Sounds very similar. Not sure I can do cyctoscopy through insurance. I'll talk to my uro. When are you doing yours and how do you not listen to the feeling? It's pretty consuming at that moment. Thanks!

• Posted

Azo doesn't turn my pee orange. I also take Trospium and it helps a bit, but the pumpkin seed oil really helps. It's cheap, so if it doesn't help you it didn't cost much to experiment. I bought mine on Amazon, but I am sure you can get the same at any health food store. There are many studies online that confirm that it does work. Also, saw palmetto seems to help as well. You have to experiment a bit to find what works for you.

• Posted

i am not sure when exactly, there is one las medication doc wants me to try so i guess if that doesnt work i will go for cysto.

what i mean by not listening to it is i try to ignore the urge, as for me from the most part is false alarm. if i dont go for a few hours the sensation sort of starts o dissipate. everytime i pass urine it resets and starts over so i try to minimize how often i go.

• Posted

tom, thanks again, i think there are several kinds of azo, not sure what mine was but i will try to look for azo bladder control as well. was on saw palmetto for several months but didnt see any benefits so i switched to beta sitoserol to see if anything changes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.