Minimally invasive bunion surgery Brisbane Australia

Posted , 16 users are following.

I live in Brisbane (Australia) and have been reading about bunion surgery for almost 2 years. I'd like to have both feet done. It looks like keyhole surgery is less pain and faster recovery but I could only find 1 dr in Brisbane who does it and there are not a lot of reviews about him. Did anyone have this type of surgery in Brisbane?

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI,

i had both feet done including all my toes straightened.

it is not painful as far as surgeries go but it is a lengthy healing process.

really 6 to 9 months before your feet really feel like your own again.

it is not minimally invasive but does not include a huge amount of cutting or sutures.

personally, I feel it is better to have both feet done together as you have to wear the block shoes.so is easier to put on both feet.

as long as you accept the convalescence you will be fine, good luck and go for it, it 

is life changing to just put shoes on !!!!!

• Posted

I live in Spain and had the surgery it's brilliant, no pins or screws or pain or walking aids only a special shoe.

• Posted

Hi, I'm on the Sunshine Coast and am having the keyhole surgery on both feet in four weeks. My surgeon did stress that it was a new technique and that there aren't many surgeons performing it as yet....the phrase "guinea pig" was used in my discussion! I should add that the surgeon is a friend of my husbands (an anaesthetist) and that after a lot of reading and discussion between all three of us I have agreed to let him try this surgical technique on me.

This surgery has been a long time coming. I've been wanting it for at least 5 years and NEEDING it for about 2. As we have 5 children, finding the time to be out of circulation (driving to school/extra curricular activities mainly) was the main delay.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm optimistic. The outcomes in the literature I've read (and as a doctors wife I have access to medical journals) has been very positive, infection rates are lower and recovery faster, but it was made very clear to me that if it didn't go as planned the surgeon would have to resort to the "old style" bunionectomy and open my foot up. So worst case senario I have the scars that everyone else who has the surgery done has. Seems like a fair "risk" to take!

If it goes well I'm happy to PM you the surgeon's details. You could have a few weeks holiday in Noosa?

• Posted

Hi Sally!

I hope your surgery will go well! I would be worried to be a guinea pig! It looks like the best surgeon to do this kind of bunion surgery is Dr Peter Lam in Sydney.

Yes, please let me inow hiwvit gies!

• Posted

Oopsi, how it goes. 😂

• Posted

HiSally, I am interested in your story and I hope your recovery is still going really great. I used to be a RN in Brisbane.  I have been researching bunion surgery for some years. I have even consulted a surgeon in the past. One foot of mine is worse than the other so only looking to get one foot done at this stage. I haven’t been able to do the surgery due to work commitments until now. I would be really interested in getting the name of your surgeon? Not sure if I want to do the keyhole thing but willing to give it a go - I feel the tried and true old way might be a better fix for me. Thanks Tracy 
    • Posted

Hi there. I had my surgery done in Auckland NZ and its been great. Am running, yoga, gym, driving, in normal shoes. REcommend definatley getting both feet done at same time. You are going to be limited during recovery so if you have to sit down to put your feet up you might as well put both your feet up. I was in the same boat and thinking one foot was way worse but surgeon said i should get both done and i'm so glad i listened.

• Posted

Meant to add its been only 2 months
    • Posted

Deb you're RUNNING?! I take my proverbial hat off to you! I'm cycling everyday, going to the gym and walking is no issue, but my right big toe is giving me grief. Limited mobility and sensation.....yet.....

Still so happy I had both done. Out of action anyway so resting two feet is as easy as resting one. 

I've attached before and after photos. I had a LOT of things fixed.....three screws, a plate and some pins. He said it was more a foot reconstruction than a bunionectomy so there's still a little  swelling around. Also I'll need further surgery on the right foot to fix the toe "drift". I have ligamentous laxity (hypermobility) and the ligaments on the  foot have stretched allowing the metatarsals to slip. If you look at the before photo it was the worse foot to start with, so I was aware it might be an issue. The scarring also looks worse than it is because I've had bunion splints on and they are pretty tight......and do NOT look at my toenails.....looking forward to getting the ok for my first ever pedicure! They'll always be ex ballerina feet, but they'll be ex ballerina feet that can walk around without pain AND fit sandals, and that's what I wanted going into this.

• Posted

Oh geepers your new feet look amazing!! Wow!!! smile...holy heck...You are doing great considering how much you had done. I can tell by the pictures you had MAJOR surgeries! Well done to you!!
    • Posted

Hi Deb,

Wow ,Running! -I agree with Sally, well done. So you recommend getting both done at same time?  I feel like my left foot bunion is still forming whereas my right is pretty bad.  I just want to be able to wear and fit in to nice shoes...not necessarily high heels just "normal shoes". Thanks for posting here it has been really helpful. Cheers Tracy

• Posted

Hi Sally, Thanks for posting the photos. Yes you have had a lot of work done and your new feet look awesome. I already have loss of sensation in my R big toe so I guess that wouldn't worry me so long as the pain goes. Would you mind PM me your surgeon - is he only Sunshine Coast or Brisbane also?

Thanks Tracy

• Posted

Thanks Deb! I am in awe of your running....but perhaps that's because I have never run in my life?! Well done to you!

Got any photos?

• Posted

Def get both done. You are going to be off your feet anyway. My right bunion was always sore and left one didnt really give me much problem running but i'm so glad i had both done! Ill find some pictures smile

• Posted

Wow that is a big difference. So glad you are doing well. Thanks for the photos.

Tracy

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I live in Auckland too. Where did you have your surgery done? I'd really appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks

Natalie

• Posted

Hi

Doctor Joe Brownlee.

Such an amazing surgeon!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions

Deb

• Posted

how did you manage going to the bathroom ? this is the main reason i didnt do both

• Posted

hi there. Not sure what information you have been given but i was up and walking straight away. Its not easy walking around with casts on feet but you get used to it and manage. Its a long recovery yes but it wasnt as bad as ive read about. I think it comes down to the surgeon to be honest and the country you live in!

• Posted

I have heard a lot about that doctor. Thank you so much. I have so many more questions but if you're able to give an indication of the cost of both feet I'd be super grateful.

Thanks again 😃

• Posted

Hi Deb,

Just had a Bunionectomy and First Metatarsal Osteotomy. Which is where they shave off the bunion then realign the first metatarsal back into place and put a screw in place for the bones to stay in place and mend again. im 10 days post-op and my dr did not put me in a cast which is why i was kind of confused when i was reading about you guys being up walking, i wasnt aware that you were all in casts.

im non weight bearing on my foot at all times and i have a boot at all times.

im 26 and had my surgery in California over here in the US.

Hoping for a smooth recovery as i plan on having my left foot done by next year or two.

• Posted

hi

oh yes things are done very differently here down under! i had both feet done, bunions shaved and toe bones cut and bones cut in tops of feet also. casts for 7 days and only allowed to walk on outside of feet, so no weight bearing. i think i posted pictures above of the cute casts!

you are doing well. just take it day by day. youll have set backs where you over do it etc but i was back in gym at 3 weeks , driving by 2 weeks, yoga by week 5, running week 6. admit it was slow recovery and i was slow and sore with the above.

• Posted

HI Sally.

I live in the Sunshine Coast too. Have had appointments with one surgeon here on the coast and another in Brisbane. Love the guy in Brisbane but he is super $$.

Would you mind sharing the details of your guy who did the MIS technique? I've been assessed as fine for that over traditional bunion surgery, and I'd prefer to stay local if I can. Were you happy with the outcome now you're 2 years down the track?

Thank you !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.