Minimally Invasive Bunion Surgery - Sydney

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,  I have spent many years following discussions in these forums and finally got up the courage to have my bunion surgery this year.  I opted for the minimally invasive technique and saw Dr Peter Lam.  I wanted to write up my experience for anyone who might be interested.  I had my surgery last week on Tuesday.  I woke up from the surgery feeling like I had the best nights sleep and with no pain.  I spent one night in hospital and asked to go home the next day.  They had given me the option of staying a second night if I wished to do so though.  My feet were bandaged and fitted with the orthopaedic sandals when I awoke.  The pain afterwards was minimal.  I remember someone in an earlier discussion describing it as feeling like your shoes are too tight and I would agree with that description.  A sort of dull ache.  I stopped taking the prescribed pain killers on day 3 and haven't even had a Panadol since then.  Dr Lam was very specific about not overdoing it if I went home (I have two children and a border collie!) so I have my Mum here helping out and have pretty much remained in bed as much as I can.  The first 6 days I only got out of bed to use the bathroom.  Yesterday and today I have slowly started walking about a little more.  I have noticed that I sometimes feel dizzy when I stand up but I believe this might be more likely related to low blood pressure and not so much the bunion surgery.  I was shown how to use the crutches in hospital by the physio but I actually prefer not to use them.  I have my first post op appointment with Dr Lam next Tuesday and I am so looking forward to seeing what they look like.  If any one has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.  I would be happy to help if I can!  Emma

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Update on my last post (in case anyone is interested!).  I had my two week follow up appointment with Dr Lam this morning.  He removed all the bandages and I had tears in my eyes as I was so happy with how my feet looked.  They are a little bruised and swollen and my toes are stained yellow with betadine but the improvement to the shape of my feet was unbelievable.  He fitted both feet with a bunion sleeve that I am to wear during the day only and refitted the post surgery sandals again.  He said to rest and elevate a bit more before I attempt to put shoes on.  As far as mobility goes, I can comfortably walk around, although I am definitely slow on my feet.  The main thing is that there is virtually no pain.  I have the odd little twinges here and there and if I sit too long with my feet not elevated they become a little uncomfortable but I do not need to take any pain killers.  Once again in anyone has any questions happy to help if I can.  Emma
  • Posted

Hi EmmainSydney,

Thank you so much for posting your experience! How's it all going? I'm considering bunion surgery - just not sure about the MI technique as opposed to the traditional. I saw Dr Lam for a consult and then I saw another surgeon, who used to do MI but doesn't anymore as he believes there can be too many complications (he's the head of orthopaedic surgery at a Sydney hospital). So now I'm a bit confused and would love to hear how you're going and if you think MI is worth it?

• Posted

Hello!  I am going really well thank you.  Yesterday I walked about 1.5k with the dog which is my first big walk out of the house and I had no pain afterwards or during, although I am much slower that I used to be. While I was outside I met my new next door neighbour and in the course of chatting discovered that she had a bunion correction done by Peter Lam last year, I couldn't believe it.  Anyway, she said she is very happy with the outcome.  She has had no complications.  My Aunty also had a bilateral bunion correction done by Peter Lam last year and is also very happy with her outcome.  My 4 week mark is next Tuesday and I am thrilled to be back walking around pain free and with straight toes!  I am wearing Sketcher sneakers, that are a size and half bigger than my normal shoes as recommended by Dr Lam.  I did try on a pair of my old summer sandals though this morning, just to see what my feet looked like in them and fit into them with no problems and again straight toes, woohoo!  So, so far my experience has been fantastic and I am thrilled with the outcome.  Most of the little incisions have healed, there are two that are still scabbed slightly.  I do have wrinkly excess skin from where the bunions used to be but I am massaging my feet daily and I imagine that this will improve over time.

As far as traditional technique vs MIS, the reason I opted for MIS was recovery time.  I did see another surgeon that was recommended by a friend and a GP who I am sure would have done a fantastic job also but I would have had a much longer recovery time and been in the boot for months.  It's very vain but the scarring that is caused by the traditional technique also put me off.  You can't even really tell that I have had surgery on my feet now.  The incisions are literally tiny and I no longer have significant swelling or bruising.  If seeing Peter Lam and having MIS had not been an option for me I think that I probably would not have gone ahead with the surgery.  I am truly grateful to him for the difference in my feet.  

I am sure that whatever path you go down will be the right one for you.  Best of luck with your decision and if you have any further questions I am happy to try and answer them.  Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.