Minimally Invasive Rectocele Repair

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is this different than a typical rectocele repair?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From the research I have done, there are 3 options for this repair:  transvaginal, transanal and abdominal (I think this is used mainly for other POP concerns).  As the abdominal route involves cutting through muscle tissue - it is considered a more significant “invasive” procedure, whereas my surgeon stated that the transvaginal approach was less invasive.  All of this is still major surgery.  From the professional studies I have watched - transvaginal approach has better long term outcomes than transanal and is less painful.
    • Posted

Thanks! I had the transvaginal then. I can’t wait to go back to the doctor. I have been going about my normal routine without the lifting because I stay swollen no matter what. I am only 3 weeks and 2 days so I’ve got a long while. I only asked for 5 weeks off work and then it’s back to lifting 8 ft ladders and doing duct cleanings. I am scared to go back. Should I ask for more time?
    • Posted

Yes 😮 there are so many stories of reinjury pushing limits and any lifting/carrying

• Posted

I think you need to explain to your physician what your work entails and then work out a plan that will best protect your repairs.  You don’t want to be like many others we see on these boards who are having to go back for additional surgeries.  Many of us have been told that a lifetime limit of weight is now 20-25 lbs.  This is a major shift in our lifestyles - at least I feel it is for me.  While my work no longer requires me to lift more than that as I am in management, we have a farm and I have always worked with my spouse on pretty much all of our farm chores.  And, I love to garden.  I was really upset when I first realized all of this - but am trying to come to terms with all of it by figuring out what I can still do - and realizing if I want to have a decent quality of life that I might just have to give up slinging 50# bags of horse feed.  

I am also worried as my original plan was to return to work at 4wks post op - but do not believe by the time I dress, drive an hour in, and walk about 3/4 of a mile to get to my office to only need to do significant walking throughout the day (not to mention the reverse of all of it to get home), that I am going to realistically be ready at 4 weeks...sigh.  I just still get so swollen after being up for too long and then get pains that run across my pubic bone and down my inner thighs - feels like a major tendon is screaming at me.  The good news is that I can walk and sit for longer than I could last week...just not anywhere close back to normal (I am now 20 days post op A&P with TOT sling).

I wish you all the best and hope that you are able to get this sorted out - can’t imagine it would be good for you to lift and strain to that degree at five weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.