Minimally invasive surgery at london foot and ankle centre?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I wold like to hear fr anyone who had the surgery by this method  and I wold very much appreciate your views and experience.many thanks

0 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

• Posted

I have just had this at the Foot and Ankle Center, just 4 days ago so early days to really report propoerly, excaept to say its hardly hurt at all and when I had my left foot done conventionally it felt like they had sawed my foot off!!
    • Posted

Many thanks  for your replay. We probably have had the same surgeon! I had one foot done 18 months ago with hardly any pain

However having just had less complex procedure on the other foot just over two

Weeks ago

Is different story hopefully things   Will improve how long Are you given off work ?

• Posted

I work for myself and from hoe, but am not really planning much for the next 4 weeks. I hope things get better for you quickly
  • Posted

I had this done ten days ago on both feet at the BMI in Worthing with Mr Palmer. Too early to comment on success but the pain has been bearable, some days none and some days a lot. All good tho, just BORED!!

Having my stitches out on Thursday so will see them for the first time, will let you know then! 

• Posted

I so agree its so boring, I am contemplating a trip to Starbucks, I figure if I can put my foot on a chair it should be Ok and otherwise I just might lose my  mind!! Do tell me how it goes once you have your stitches out.
    • Posted

Thank you for your replay.  Share the feeling about pain had mine done previously at london foot and ankle hardly any pain had the other foot done 2 an half weeks ago different story you mention stitches  I had none my op was done by Mr Redfern 
    • Posted

I was contemplating a trip to Sainsburys as they have wheelchairs (am that fed up!), not sure if the feet will hurt too much tho as won't be elevated!? Will keep you posted once stitches are out smile
    • Posted

Did you have the bone broken or just shaved, not sure if that makes a difference? Not sure how many stitches there are, have wires too sad
    • Posted

Hi Natasha,

I had the bone in the big toe reset and screws put in to keep in place permanently and bunion at the side shaved no stitches or wires as this surgeon doesn't use th in hi method either way a bit ore than uncomfortable at the moment

• Posted

I too had to have the metatarsal broken and reset along with shaving. I havent had to have screws though, they are all so different aren't they! Have you had the bandages changed yet?
    • Posted

Hi Natasha ,

I had padded bandage removed and nothing else was put on can send you a photo 

• Posted

I have bandages and special shoes. How do I send pics on here?!
    • Posted

I have just been to Pret a Manger for a coffee!! Hubby took me in the car, I sat in the back seat and rested my foot on the front seat ( which he put flat) I took a small cushion with me and rested my foot on a chair in the cafe. It throbbed a bit with the caffene but well worth it for a view of the big wide world. Home now and none the worse for it.  In fact feeling 100% better for getting out of the house
    • Posted

I'm not sure if I have stitches, its all bandaged up. Sorry to hear that this one has hurt, did you have the other one done with MIS by Mr redfern as well? Did that work out well?

• Posted

Oh good news smile I did go to sainsburys, quite fun bombing around in a motorised wheelchair but also quite embarrassing and took it right out of me, had an hours sleep when I got home and still shattered! Hey ho, at least I got some nice food, giggles from the kids and a different view of the world! Oh and a very comical pic of my husband driving the wheelchair from the shop to the car - priceless!!!! 
    • Posted

Yes the other one he did a brilliant job on and this one looks just as good except that it's lot more painful but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes I hope it will settle
    • Posted

Hi Natasha,

I like to find that out too. I think it's possible as somebody did post a photo let me know if you find out how!

• Posted

I saw the link but can't work out how to get my photos under 2MB!!!
    • Posted

Agh,I too can't get it to work so will have to wait till techno man comes home 
    • Posted

Hi Natasha, I've managed to upload some photos, this is post op, 3 weeks on Wednesday
    • Posted

WOW!! I so hope my feet look like that when my bandages come off! Am half excited and half terrified as to what Thursday will show - I will take some pics and post them, although I will still have wires in sad

Very impressed!

• Posted

Hi ,

Thank you for your nice comments the foot is quite sore maybe because I didn't take any anti inflammatory meds till today as I didn't really need them until last week 

• Posted

Ps don't worry your foot or feet will look great se yet as ago when I

Looked into this procedure the method you have was just pioneered by German doctor

• Posted

Thanks! Fingers crossed...its odd as right now I can't even imagine walking again (prob because its both feet!) - will take pics smile 

• Posted

My surgeon gets the credit I get the pain and I hope foot that doesn't hurt anymore!
    • Posted

Did he tell you to use crutches for 6 weeks? The thought of 6 whole weeks is killing me as its only day 5 and it feels fine walking in my shoe with the weight on my heel
    • Posted

Well, if he said 6 weeks on crutches then I ll go with that when I had my other foot done I had to use  crutches for 6 weeks as then he Had two bones intuitive hoot to reset but with other foot now  he reset only one and shaved bunion and said to use just one but make sure you use the crutches correctly as I didn't and managed to hurt my shoulder as I kept doing the opposite to what was correct  especially  going up the stairs

First two weeks withe the rule of 50 min up out of every hour get a bit frustrating tv I pad and reading helps past the time thank god for internet after two weeks you can go out for a short periods of time I guess been to cinema  3 weekend running  so not that bad  it will pas before you know it  

• Posted

Well it may not lock bad but boy it is painful and a bit too swollen to massage and wiggle the toes when your mind is saying don't do it . Good luck on Thursday

And keep me posted  best wishes

• Posted

Thanks, I will keep you posted smile Have you tried an ice pack for the swelling? x
    • Posted

No I haven't because I keep thinking anything pressing on the foot however lightly may hurt more but I will have a go what medication if any have you been taking ?
    • Posted

Hi Lilian I know I have to do as he says but it is sooo dull sad after the 2 weeks what guidance did you get on how much you could go out?
    • Posted

I may have inadvertently sent incomplete messages so please ignore those doing this in the phone it's so easy to send  anyhow,

When I had more complex procedure done he said I could go to work in special shoes and crutches as long as I obviously didn't drive and say down most of the time.it didn't work out because if the foot in not elevated most of the time it soon started swelling and throbbing  so I asked my GP sign me off for the rest of the time 6 weeks in total and I did the same this time I get it for short periods of time say 1 hour on feet and then most of the time elevate foot afterwards the tendency is to overdo it and I am trying not to did you say you had both feet done?

• Posted

No just the rigt foot, I have the left one done 14 years ago by the conventional method. I work fromhome so that is not the issue, I just want to bale to get out of the house, say go for some coffee or something, its staying in that is killing me sad
    • Posted

I truly sympathise but try and occupy your self as much as you can and time will pass surf ing the net is my thing can spend  a day on no problem you tube too full of funny stuff 
    • Posted

Hmm, had the stitche out and hardly any marks so very impressed with that. Really worried about the left foot though. Toe is sticking out miles to the right, it still has the pin in which is obviously what is pushing it out, but it looks too much??? The pic with the dressing on is the left one, the other one is my right....
    • Posted

The feet look great!! And hardly any swelling which is brilliant! Near work too! How long post op are you? I presume once the pin is out the other toe will be straight too so how long are wires kept for? So did the surgeon  have to reset and pin the toe bones and how does it work with wires ? 

Sorry, lots of questions !

• Posted

Hardly any swelling and virtually no marks which for two weeks is great. Am worried its too bent though, the pin is on the right of the big toe so is obviously supposed to be pulling it that way, it just doesn't look right to me at all and so much more bent than the left one? There are pins in both big toes, thats what is worrying me!

I have no idea how it works or why, terrible really!! I have emailed him with photos to ask so am now winding myself up until then sad 

• Posted

He should have explained to you what to expect so that you don't go worrying needlessly when you had bandages removed didn't you see surgeon after!

Ask to see him or speak to him or somebody that can give you some answers .did you have this done privately not that should make any difference don't sit worrying get some answers but I know it's easier said than done  x

• Posted

Just realised I didn't update! Spoke to the nurse and she told me that he always over corrects slightly and the pin is pulling it further over away from the other toes. Am told that once the pin is removed it will move back over - she said she gets a lot of calls worrying and it always goes back. Would have thought if it is so normal and so many people call that they would warn you of this before they send you home!!!
    • Posted

You would have tought that they would routinely inform the patients that over correction is normal and as the toe look now it's not the finish product ' so glad that your worries have resolved 
    • Posted

I know, crazy isn't it! Still a teeny bit worried and totally foot obsessed now! Keep looking and feeling to see if this or that could still be a bunion!!!! Must remember to stop and wait for it all to heal, not even three weeks in!!

How are you getting on?  

• Posted

so pleased they have aanswered your concerns, its so easy to get worked up sitting at home 24/7!!
    • Posted

I know! All I can focus on is feet lol!! How are you getting on?
    • Posted

I have felt much better the last couple of days,I think its because I can see light at the end of the tunnel, my 2 week appointment is on Thursday and I'm hoping he'll say its ok to leave the house. I have been out actually, a couple of times to have a coffee, that was nice. The foot feels better every day, I'm just not too sure how much weight to put on it. Are you hobblig around OK?
    • Posted

You need to get out otherwise you go nuts! The nurse told me to try and walk as normally as possible (with a giant pin in my toe!) so have been practicing the hobble! My sister took me out for a drink on Sunday night for an hour which was nice...it is getting a lot easier. I just have no patience and want to see the finished product!

Will they do anything at the two week appointment?

• Posted

I think what we have gone trough as patients  we. Are entitled to get a bit obsessive!with my first procedure 18 m ago on the other foot everything was so different no pa in

No painkillers on this current procedure on the other foot it so differentiate problematic I will be seeing a surgeon in the 9th and hope he can shed se light on it 

Kep us posted

• Posted

hi sibacat,

Was it today yoy went for your 2week post op? How did it go?

• Posted

Hi Lilian, its 14 days since my op today, but my appointment is tomorrow sad so 1 more day to go. I'm doing  a small jail break this morning to go to the oesteopath, sitting around all day is a nightmare for my back. I'll update everyone as soon as this bandage is off. I'll try and take a pic and upload it!
    • Posted

Good luck tomorrow, try to send us a pic, you excited?! x
    • Posted

Good luck hun, hope it all goes well smile 
    • Posted

After sitting around for 4 weeks my back is well and truly done. The "chief"said keep the foot elevated as much as poss it's therapeutic and beneficial in the long run but not for the rest of me and my mental health! I am seeing him next week and I will be winging about the pain ! I am escaping to town for an hour today pain or not! All the lovely weather and no where to go !GOOD LUCK!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.