Minimally invasive surgery next week. Don't know what to expect. Please help!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm having MIS on my left bunion next week.I'm really worried about a few things. Firstly I'm worried about the operation. I'm having sedation which I'm a little nervous about and wondered if anyone had done this without being sedated and just relied on the regional block they use. I'm also worried about the pain factor after the operation. Just wondering how bad it will be. I have 3 young children and really worried I'm not going to be able to hobble around the house to get them a drink or a snack. I'd love to hear from someone else who has had minimally invasive surgery. I need my mind putting at ease.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had this op 20 weeks ago and was walking easily the next day then had two days when I needed pain killer regularly but still walked around when it was needed . You do need to rest as much as you can the first week especially and get your leg up high on cushions .

I had anaesthetic but almost had epidural ... Both is fine so don't be nervous ... It's honestly not as bad as you're thinking .

Good luck

• Posted

Hello.

Thank you so much for your comment. It's the type of reply I've been looking for. It's very reassuring.

How come you turned down the epidural? If it was a general I wouldn't do it. It's a massive phobia of mine having a general. I have been sedated a few times for different things and found it OK so I'm getting an ankle block and sedation.

Did you have Minimally invasive? I'm in the UK.

It's just sinking in how much it will hurt afterwards now and it's starting to really scare me. I'm getting it done the day after tomorrow!!!!

I'm really tiring myself out trying to get as much done as possible as I know whatever I don't get done now I won't for a couple of months. It's hard as I'm always on the go and hate sitting watching TV all day. I normally only watch a film a day in a night after the children go to bed.

I don't feel I asked enough questions at the consultation so feeling really not ready for this.

Gillian

• Posted

I chose general anaesthetic but might go with an epidural for second bunion .Try not to panic cause I had big toe pinned and straightened by 55% plus tendon tightened and obviously bunion shaved . I expected real pain ! The ankle block lasted about 35 hours .... No pain at all ! my advice would be to take the pain Killers they give you after 24 hours to build up so when the block wears off its not such a shock . I took co codomol which knocked me out for about a day and a half which covered the worst soreness and then just paracetamol when needed . I was then walking without crutches in my boot around the house easily . I expected far more pain but it was just an ache really after 2-3 days which is nothing to worry about . It's not that bad as long as you elevate ut as much as possible for the first week .

I'm 62 but work in an infant school with 6 year olds and I bought sketcher shoes which have saved my life. ! I'm having second foot done later this year and I'm not at all worried about it.

The hardest bit is walking without a limp after the boot comes off .... It takes time but is inconvenient rather than painful .

Good luck and let me know how you're doing xxx

• Posted

Hi

Oh the ankle block sounds like an ankle epidural. That's good if it keeps the pain at bay for a good while. I hate Co codomol as it bloated me last time I took it and made me very drowsy indeed. Hopefully paracetamol and nurofen will be good enough. Fingers crossed.

I will let you know how I get on providing I don't chicken out. Just want it over with!

Thanks again

• Posted

Had bunion & hammer toe by MIS 4 yrs ago - brilliant. Nerve block and little sedation absolutely fine with no after effects.  Painkillers for first two days then did 't need any more. You will definitely have to put foot up think for one week then as often as possible.  In special boot and crutches.  Don't think you'll be able to cope with three young children for the first couple of weeks.  Well worth javing,the operation and excellent result - my bunion was at the maximum for MIS and looks like I never had it.  Have it done and do 't worry about the sedation and nerve block - you can chat to the team as well. Good luck.  Sheila 
    • Posted

Hello Sheila.

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. I'm a little nervous to read anyone's comments right now but yours was just what I needed to read 😊.

Relieved to read you just had pain killers for 2 days. I was imagining on them for at least a week and even then I was thinking more pain!

Did you manage to sleep for the duration of the op?

My mum is coming over tonight as my op is in the morning. She can help get the children ready and prepare the meals. My hubby works from home a lot so at least he can repay the favour of constant cups of tea in the day.

I'm so glad that you've had excellent results you must be over the moon. Like you I think I was borderline not being able to have MIS as my bunion is so huge!!

I'm nervous about tomorrow but excited at the same time to have a normal foot for once!

• Posted

Hi Gillian

Sorry  just seen your message.  No I wasn't asleep during op but drowsy and was able to chat a bit to the anaesthetist who sat at my side and gave the sedation. Felt very relaxed.  Please don't worry about it.  It'll be over before you know it and you'll have a lovely straight foot. Let us know how it went.

Good luck.

Sheila

Sheila

• Posted

Hi Sheila.

Wow you went asleep?. Was that choice? Or wasn't sedation enough to sleep? I'm not brave enough for being awake during it. I'm a real Nancy when it comes to anything medical. Listening to the high speed high sound cutter would really scare me to death knowing what's going on!

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of a straight foot!

• Posted

Sorry my in first sentence it said you "were"asleep was meant to say "weren't" asleep. Predictive text problem
  • Posted

There are different levels of sedation - mild where you are conscious, moderate where you are very drowsy and you may sleep but can be wakened when spoken to.  Very relaxed feeling. It's so much better than a general as no,side effects.  Please don't worry about it.

hope all goes well.

Sheila

• Posted

Hi Sheila

On my way to hospital. Admission at 11.30am so not sure of start time. I've had sedation before a few times. Usually slept through my procedures except once woke up couple times but just went back off. Wake up shakes though and cold usually. Want it over with.

If only general available I'd have ugly feet forever!

I will let you know how it went as long as I don't run off the theatre table before they can start!

• Posted

Hello. All done and on way home. You were right nothing to worry about!! The ankle block was worse as I was asleep throughout 😊. Just waiting for block to wear off but going to keep on with pain Meds so praying keeps it at bay!

Apparently went beautifully and apparently I have a straight foot.

I have sort of pins and needle feelings in my foot but think that's block wearing off.

Gillian

• Posted

Great to hear Gillian, I'm sure there were a few of us thinking about you and hoping to hear when it was done.

You survived!!! Take it easy, ice and elevate! Yes there will be lots of pins and needles and tingly feelings, sometimes shooting pains... Nothing is intolerable, all is manageable, and improves every day : )

Keep us posted!

Susan xo

• Posted

Soo glad it all went well and you're a happy bunny.  Yes keep up with the painkillers and elevation is the name of the game - very important as it stops swelling and promotes healing.  Enjoy being pampered for a while and let others do things for you.  Well done.

keep is all posted with your  progress.

All best wishes

Sheila 

• Posted

Hi Sheila.

I'm lucky to have had such lovely people to help me with my journey.

I only got 2 hours sleep last night though as I was just wide awake and just worrying when the pain would kick in and what it would be like!

Just can't wait to see my new foot but that's 6 weeks away!! Just hope its nice and straight. If it wasn't for my toes feeling tight it would be painless!! X

• Posted

It's always good to help people and we've all been in the same boat.  I didn't have any pain when the nerve block wore off so may not happen.  It will be straight and that's why is so important to keep it elevated.  You won't know yourself when finished and you'll be pain free yay! 

Take care

Sheila

• Posted

Wow you didn't? I'm praying I will be the same. My toes just feel numb. Did yours?
    • Posted

Did you manage the stairs? Did you walk about on your heel first couple of days? I'm so reluctant to walk about. X
    • Posted

Hi Gillian great to follow your progress! I personally stayed upstairs in my bedroom either reclined or on a lounger chair always elevated except for bathroom breaks. (To be honest I don't think i showered per se those first few days but rather just did quick body wash at the sink). I always had a little stool at my sink so I could kneel if I felt I needed too.

So I didn't go down the stairs by myself until the 3rd day.... Held on went slow and it was FINE! After that went up and down quite a few times every day. Wore a soft fabric shoulder bag to carry my phone, headphones etc around the house. Needed both hands for balance and railings! Heel walking is okay - you will learn what feels best and how to do place your weight. You are on your way now!

Keep us posted!

Susan

• Posted

Oh yeah I'm so desperate for a nice bath. Or even a wash at the sink in the bathroom but don't feel ready for the stairs right now. Maybe tomorrow. Our shower doesn't work but a bath will be better as I can just keep my foot up on top of the bath. Not too sure how I will get in and out though. I keep going thru scenarios how to do it in my head lol.
    • Posted

I found my bidet really useful. Just "sponge bathed" while sitting for support ... Hope that's not too much information!

Also had a shower chair - needed help only first time to hop into shower but after that first time I was good on my own (with shower boot cover). Sat on my little bathroom still then hopped in to my shower stool. : )

Where there is a will there is a way!

Susan

• Posted

No not too much information. Makes me feel better I'm having to wee in a bucket lol as we don't have a downstairs loo!! You just have to do what you can to get by. Not very dignified but that the way it goes.

I find I'm struggling to flex my ankle for some reason. Did you have that problem?

• Posted

Oh I wasn't even thinking about flexing ankle yet - you are only 24 hours out! Take it easy, it will all come! Important thing is ice and elevate!! And eat well, I think a good diet is probably important for your body's healing process : ))

Susan

• Posted

I'm a worrier and was like oh my they must have damaged my nerves from nerve block or when they've cut my bones. I was imagining never walking properly ever again. Like I say I'm a worrier!!

My mum is staying and she's trying to feed me up! I'm going to end up huge lol.

Can you remember when you stopped pain Meds. Was it after first couple days. I hate taking pain Meds of any sort. I suppose I will just have to play it by ear.

• Posted

Lol yes I admit there was a bit of weight gain due to the much reduced physical activity : / sorry about that - but one nice foot now so that's the upside lol

I only took them once a day (in evening or before bed) for the first week. Didn't really feel I needed to for pain... But I took it anyway as I thought it would help with inflammation. The few times that I felt a bit more throbbing, it didn't seem to help with that anyway...

Tylenol works too and I still take it some days even 3.5 months post surgery : ))

Start binge watching a new Netflix series! I watched the whole Mad Men series - what a nice distraction while I was elevated!

Best

Susan

• Posted

Oh my re weight gain. I'm going to be so desperate to get to the gym. Missing it already 😕.

Yeah we've got Netflix so I will have lots to watch.

Are you in the UK?

I'm quite sensitive to pain Meds so hoping to stick to paracetamol and nurofen. They gave me codeine for home but they aren't the best thing for my tum so will only use if pain gets really bad.

Are you able to bend your big toe nicely now? Have you only had one side done?

• Posted

My surgery was on March 4th so I am still recouping but moving about quite well and have had full days with lots of standing and the pain is much diminished now. Still a little swollen though so I can't fit into too many sandals and things yet - oddly the swelling is on the top of my foot - so my foot is "thicker" - apparently this outside all normal for this stage at this short time post op.

Re my toe bending - still stiff and it bends but not so great yet. I admit I have been squeamish about doing to bending exercises so try to put weight on it and bend it in other ways e.g when I'm brushing my teeth or just barefoot, instead. My bad! - hope it's okay!

BTW I am in Toronto, Canada! 🇨🇦

Susan : )

• Posted

Yes it's easy to think that after 6 weeks when your bandages come off it will be normal and all good but obviously doesn't work that way unfortunately.

I'm a gym bunny so here's hoping I can get back into it shortly after my 6 week check. I'm sure the rower and running machine will be out for quite a while but hopefully bike and cross trainer will be OK.

I can understand you being squeamish. I will be the same worrying I will damage my toe in someway and need more surgery or more recovery. I was wishing today I had them both done together as don't want to be doing all this again!!

• Posted

Heck just finished reply and it disappeared so will start again. Using the crutches was a bit tricky on the stairs as wasn't allowed to put foot on ground.  Even if I got up during the night had to put the shoe on and use the crutches but practice makes perfect and soon got the hang of it. One crutch, carrying other under arm and holding on to banister got me there and the same coming down - keep one copy of the physio's instruction sheet re going up & downstairs at the top and one at the bottom to refer to.  I didn't have any tingling or pain so don't necessarily expect it.

Good luck - it sounds so complicated but after a few days you'll get the hang of it.

Keep in touch and be positive.

Sheila

• Posted

Think cut painkillers down after a week (so difficult to go back and remember) then cut a dose out to see how it was and went from there. You can always take another if you need it but don't cut them all at the same time as they build up in the system and you don't want to be with none. Like you I don 't take tablets unless I really have to. I cut down on the strong ones asap  and switched to Paracetamol but everyone's different.

Just go slowly you'll soon be whizzing around with the crutches.

You're doing ok .

Sheila

• Posted

Hello

Well the hospital didn't give me any crutches strangely enough!! Might have been helpful though.

I've kept my shoe on all the time. Not sure if I'm meant to or not. The nurse didn't say if I should be taking it off when not walking! I best check.

Wow no pain or tingling that's super! Very lucky. I've had no pain just my toes feeling a bit tight and numb but odd. Had a few little aches where bones were cut.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Well I can bend my ankle a "bit" today. I had a better nights sleep too. Woke at 2am though to have paracetamol. My toes were feeling weird and tight. And my heel was hurting. Probably from the elevation.

I thought I'd be able to hobble about a bit today. Wanted to go upstairs for a nice wash BUT as soon as I went to put weight on my heel I just knew I wasn't ready and sat back down. I needed to get upstairs though for a wash so I hilariously went on my bum and hands across the living room and upstairs on my bum. Ha. Had a lovely wash though and washed my hair.

Just don't feel ready to heel walk yet. I'm seeing surgeon in 2 weeks for a check and thinking I bet I'm not even walking by then!! How soon could you heel walk?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.