Minor bone(?) symptoms on hip and elbow after fall off bike

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all. I had a bit of a tumble when I came off my pushbike at fairly high speed just over two weeks ago, landing hard on my hip, knee and elbow. At first, the most obvious issues were the cuts and bruises, but as they've healed up a couple of other things have stuck around and seem a little odd.

Firstly, my elbow is quite uncomfortable when pressure is applied near the "point". It's not at any point been difficult to bend or straighten, and wasn't noticeably swollen. It has been a little less tender over the last couple of days and I suspect might be going away. But the most interesting symptom is that whereas the other elbow feels smooth, this one feels quite rough under the skin, kindof notched/grooved/chipped at the place where it's painful.

Secondly, my hip. This was very bruised over the first ten days or so, but seems to be much better. Again, it's not really caused me any major mobility problems - I took one day off exercise and then got back to my normal morning run routine the day after that. This time the odd symptom (which if anything has got slightly worse over the last few days) is that when I run - particularly when I start off, it feels like a blunt stick is being pushed quite hard from my hip back into my buttock. When I run my hands down the side of my hips it does feel like something is sticking out at the injured side although it's not visible externally.

Neither issue is causing me terrible hardship, but I guess I'd like to know whether they're the kind of things that would go away with time or continue harmlessly - in which case I'd happily not waste mine or a doctor's time getting them checked out - or whether they sound like the kind of thing that might flare up or come back to bite me.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think you would be very wise to get them checked out . These are the sort of things that may turn into more complicated problems when you are older...like arthritis.  A simple Xray could probably tell a consultant what is happening. You may not need any treatment at all.  See your GP and see what he/she thinks. 
  • Posted

Hiya matt I think you should get it checked out I fell on my elbow many years ago and it's been left with a boney lump that still hurts to touch I did have an xray at the time but I think I flaked a bone mri would of shown it I guess it will never be the same again arthritis has set in
  • Posted

Thanks Marina and Joanne - I'll get them checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.