Miracles to happen!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Some of the regular posters on here, may know that I have tried to get nalfemene or naltrexone without success from two different dr's.

I've been referred to the local alcohol and drug advisory services and addaction. They wouldn't prescribe it either and said it had to be my gp.

To cut a long story short, I'd decided to either use a reputable online pharmacy or see a private doctor.

However, I had an appointment at the dr's this afternoon for a damaged shoulder. My usual dr was on holiday so a saw a very young newly qualified locum GP.

Making conversation, I mentioned the problems I'd had trying to get a prescription. He was very surprised and quite shocked at the lack of support I'd experienced.

He said the success rate was very high and in his opinion it was the best form of treatment. Tongue in cheek, I said "so you're going to prescribe naltrexone then" . He looked at my last LFT result and said "I don't see why not"!

So I now have a prescription  for naltrexone and its up to me, if or when I start taking it.

So miracles do happen when you least expect them!!!!

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've just woken up to your post, Vickylou and I am absolutely over the moon for you!

Really, it's made my day.  Well done to you and also a big high five to your doctor.  I have often wondered if this is going to take until the next generation of doctors to come through the system as doctors who were trained in the 'old' ways of dealing with addictions seem to be very set in their ways.

And doesn't this just show that despite everything, once a medical professional looks into the method and understands it, they then understand that there is no risk to them over prescribing this medication because it is safe and non-addictive?

• Posted

Thanks Joanna, think I'm still in shock! It was just an off the cuff remark, as he was so chatty.

He also didn't know that Antabuse is still being prescribed when it does more hard than good.

I did feel a bit guilty as I'd been told previously it wasn't surgery policy and asked him if he'd get in trouble, to which he said probably, but I'm only here till Wednesday lol!

• Posted

Make sure you put in a written request for a repeat prescription. If you're still going to Addaction, lie to them and tell them the GP gave you an interim perscription,and it is up to them to carry it on.
    • Posted

Err a bit of a problem if I do that, only went twice about three years ago. The place was disgusting and I felt very intimidated by drug addicts pestering me for money. The 'support' worker looked about 16 (I know by law she would have to be at least 18) thought she was a service user at first!

The last place I went to was ADS (alcohol drug services) who told me my GP would have to prescribe it.

The locum put it on repeats and gave me 3 months worth. It dawned on me during the night, would my regular dr just remove it and refuse any more? 

I may have to resort to devious measures.

The other idea I had (I may need your investigation skills, please) is that we visit Spain at least 8 times a year (not boasting. But we've got a villa) is to take the repeat  bit of the script to a farmacia there. I've got diazapam there before with repeat bit, passport and EHIC card. I need to find out first is naltrexone available in Spain? Maybe Paul or Joanna would know. Worth a try. Worst case scenario is GP won't prescribe anymore and I end up trying the online Pharmacies you and Joanna recommended.

Thanks for the advice and interest helping me

• Posted

My Addaction is a world of difference to the original one I went to, which sounds a little bit like yours. It is located in a hospital, so it is just like going to a hospital appointment and their office is obviously the same as the other offices, so an ordinary reception desk without toughened perspex in between you and the other person.

In the waiting room/reception it really is like sitting waiting for a GP or hospital appointment. After the meeting I get handed my prescription and on the way out, there is a small hospital pharmacy that stock the sort of medications you will have a prescription for. When I first rang around for Campral (once I knew I would be getting a prescription) I could not find any that stocked it.

I have asked about naltrexone in Spain on a pharmacy website I'm on, sometimes you get good responses, sometimes nothing at all. Do you have friends in Spain that could check the situation out for you - it is taken for other medical reasons, so you don't have to let on the real reason you want it.

• Posted

I know one of them is available over the counter in Spain but I'm not sure if it is naltrexone or nalmefene. Joanna will know smile
    • Posted

Naltrexone is actually an over the counter medication in Spain!

I know plenty of people who spend about 23 Euros to get a packet of 28 tablets.  No prescription needed.  The only thing they tell me is that most pharmacies will only provide one box of 28 tablets each time (not sure why).  Easy to get around though - they go to two or three different pharmacies, or use the same pharmacy when different staff are on.

• Posted

RHGB, Joanna and paul

Thank you all so much for the active help you have given me in helping me to obtain naltrexone. You've all gone out tof your way to help me and it really is much appreciated. I'm not usually an emotional person. It takes a lot to make me cry, but when people I've never met, have come up with answer, I did shed a few tears.

Now I feel angry that a drug which could potentially save someone's life is denied to so many uk residents, yet a quick trip to Benidorm, ( I don't stay there), walk into a farmacia and many more and hey presto you've bought it over the counter.

what is wrong with our country and our gps. Joanna hit the nail on the head, in saying young dr's coming through the system are far more receptive to new ideas and are prepared to stick their neck out unlike the stereotypical old fashioned consultants who are treated like little gods. When I worked on the labour and gynae wards, I found it fascinating watching the twice daily "dr smith walk with me" am going totally off topic here, but I've had a good chuckle remembering ward rounds. "Sister Jones, I cannot do my ward round until we are all in our positions, obviously I shall lead. senior reg follow to my left. Registrar slightly behind the senior reg, but to my right. Where's the SHO, (he was asleep in the on call room! )I could go on and on, but will only wind myself up recalling these hilarious pantomimes which wasted so much time.

My next visit to la manga is 02/04/16. Rest assured, I have a car and will be visiting as many farmacies as is practicable. The good thing being, I can leave some at the villa, 

Ive an idea that to get diazapam in Spain, you can no longer buy it over the counter, but will see what I can find out.

Its certainly says a lot for our country, that to get drugs we need, we have to go to other EU member states.

Many thanks again

• Posted

Off topic but my best friends step mother was Spanish and had an apartment in late manga and we used to go there in the late 80,s early 90's.

Loads of drugs can be got over the counter in Spain but not here.Even salbutamol which is an asthma pump can be over the counter in Spain but here you need a script so if you run out in this country you either suffer or have to go to a& e

• Posted

While I am certainly not going to defend health policy in the UK because many aspects of it are appalling, I have to say that I DO understand why it is felt that naltrexone and nalmefene should be prescribed. Before we can tell people that it is ok to do The Sinclair Method, we always get them to do a Liver Function Test. The reason for this is that it would be extremely bad advice for us to say 'take a pill and then drink' if their liver was in a serious mess. However, that doesn't mean they have to guard the nalmefene and natrexone with their lives to make sure nobody can get it smile
  • Posted

Should say Miracles do happen,not miracles to happen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.