Mirena Coil

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been on HRT for 5 months and I have started getting migranes. My doctor said that I have to stop the HRT and she would like to try me with the Mirena Coil. How successful  is the Mirena coil at  stopping menopase symtoms?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Can I ask why the Dr wants to try Mirena? Is the migrane only reason? I have Mirena but no one told me it has any function with peri menapause. However I cannot take HRT and wanted to try myself. I am not sure how much it is effecting me or controlling my symptoms. Perhaps I would have been much worse without it. Who knows. But there are days that I feel I need help and some medication to get me through my day. Good luck with it.
    • Posted

Thank you. This is what I want to know, ImagineCelebi.  I know nothing about the Mirena coil.  The HRT is causing migranes and not helping my menopause symptoms.  My friend has the Mirena Coil and she is older than me and has not had any menopause symptoms.
  • Posted

I've had the Mirena coil for about 5 years but I've never heard of it helping with menopause symptoms and the doctor never mentioned this to me. I have wondered if the coil does play a part in the symptoms, either relieving them or making them worse but I don't know.

We're all different so what helps one person might not help another. If I was you Maxine, I'd ask about this and try to do a little research. Maybe your doctor means you need it for heavy periods..that is if you have heavy ones? 

• Posted

Thank you BugglyBot, but my doctor is trying me on the Mirenca Coil instead of HRT as it is causing migranes.  I don't have heavy periods
    • Posted

Dr's say different things making us confuse. I never heard mirena helping with symptoms. But followed my instinct and wanted to try. Plus I didn't want to have hectic bleeding on top of all the other symptoms. All I know is mirana has small amount of hormone release but it also ends after a period of time but I can't remember how ling; 2-3years? I hope it helps with your migrane. Do you feel HRT helped you with other symptoms? Best wishes
    • Posted

Ah I see. What is bizarre Maxine is that an aunt of mine has been on HRT now for 13/14 years mainly because she has migraines. Couldn't the doctor try you on another one? My aunt is scared to come off it, it's worked so well. Have a word with another doctor and see what they say x.
    • Posted

As far as I know ImagineCelebi, the Mirena works for about 7 years. I've had mine for about 5 years now and I'm hoping it keeps working for a while longer as I dread the heavy bleeding again. Makes you wonder if it does help with peri symptoms, it would be nice if it did.
  • Posted

The HRT helped all of my menopause symptoms for a number of months, but then the symptoms returned. It was going onto a higher dose of HRT that brought on the migranes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.