Mirena coil

Posted , 7 users are following.

Evening

My gp has suggested I try the Mirena coil to reduce some of my symptoms. I'm in Peri and I'm still having periods (one minute they last one day and the next month a delightful river for 7 days). It's too early to try hrt which I don't think I can do anyway due to unstable bp but I need something to help. I have hot flushes, really bad acne, joint pain, mood swings, exhaustion, no sex drive and just feel as though like my appearance has suddenly changed overnight and I look so old! I'm 38.

I have heard both good and bad things about the coil but thought I would see if anyone had used it for menopause?

I have recently lost weight so I'm concerned about reports of weight gain.

Thanks

Chloe x

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I found it helped me as far as the cramps go still get lower back pain sometimes. Have put on a bit of weight not due to the coil though get these cravings for sweet things every so often which I cant seem to control and I have read that being premenopausle can do this.
  • Posted

Hi, I had the Mirena inserted 2 years ago due to ridiculously heavy periods. i would say that it took more than 6 months to have an effect. Since then I seem to have 4 to 6 weeks of a light period / spotting then nothing for a couple of months. For me having the Mirena was the right decision as I was flooding for weeks on end. Some women's period stop. I do not think that it has made any difference on my menopause symptoms. Re weight I have put on weight but to be honest I cannot really blame the coil for that! I didn't think that the coil helped menopause symptoms so much as helped reduce heavy periods. 

• Posted

Hi my periods stoped I just get the odd spotting now and then. I do not have the vaginal dryness either after I had the coil inserted which was a big problem for me which is part of the premenopause which I found the coil worked for me dont think its for everyone though.
  • Posted

for me it works I had it initially for contraception and i never had a period again I thought you were only allowed it twice but apparently you can have it for the menopause but only for four years at a time I  have never had a problem and i think without it I would suffer but it works for me I cant speak for others all I would say give it a try if you want if it doest suit or work for you, you can have it taken out  good luck
    • Posted

hi sue.  Am thinking of having a mirena fitted.  Have you got menopause symptoms.. what has it helped for you.  At the moment I am having terrible periods, heavy cramps, leg pain.  They are getting shorter only lasting a day or two but the cramping stays for 6 days along with the aches.  I don't have a problem with heavy bleeding, so wondering now will it help with the rest of it.

• Posted

I never had the cramps as I had the marina for ten years all told it was my doc that suggested it for the menopause but I only have it for four years I believe it helps me and the joint pain
  • Posted

Thanks, going to give it a go, will report back how it goes x
  • Posted

Hi Chloe I had it fitted for exactly the same reason, I perserviered for 2 years and sadly it wasn't for me, yes it groped my heavy periods hardly got anything, but in me, I felt awful, I got really bad acne which I never had before, I felt down on myself and my anxiety went through the roof, I ended up having it removed last January and I'm back to my normal self, but yes the heavy periods are back, but I would rather have them any day than the way I felt when the voila was in, oh I forgot my sex drive went to none existent. But yes we are all different so would never advise wether to have it, its got to be your own experience xx

• Posted

Sorry for the predictive text groped should be stopped and voila should be coil ..lol xx
    • Posted

Haha, love predictive text!

I have really bad acne now and zero sex drive so I'm kind of hedging my bets it can only get better??!!

X

• Posted

Hey Chloe I agree you have to try it yourself, I read up on it lots and there was lots of negative reports, but my friend has had it 10 years with no problem, it all depends on you, sadly it wasn't for me, I wish it had of been, because it was great not having the really heavy periods, but all the other problems far out weighed it, wishing you luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.