Mirena coil...advice appreciated

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have suffered really badly over last 18 months with extreme pain and heavy periods, on more than I am off. Had blood tests done and have unstable hormone levels.

Seen consultant and have been booked in for camera, biopsy and mirena through surgery as a day patient. Read a lot of horror stories and am now thinking it it better the devil I know, and just suffer with my obscure periods.

Would really appreciate any advice.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If it were me I wouldn't have it done I know quite a few people who had the miranda coil and it made no difference

• Posted

I had the implant for 3 years and had terrible, terrible heavy MONTH long periods! I switched to the Mirena in January. So far, so good. The periods I've had so far have been so much lighter and shorter than before. My hormones honestly are better on the Mirena then the implant. The implant made me crazy. For me I think it's an improvement in my opinon and how I feel. I'd say it's not for everyone but since I've switched over so far things have been going pretty good. I will say it was very painful for me to have it put in and if you do get it it will be painful for a few days and lots of cramping...once you make it past that you should be fine. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I have not been on any sort of contraception for years because when l did try for a family it never happened and went through 3 rounds of ivf with 2 unsucessfuls and the last one l used a doner egg as l found out l was not producing eggs. This time it worked and l fell pregnant. I had just turned 40 but for. 7 weeks then had a misscarrige. It was such a rollercoaster of emotion and so upsetting. I made a choice then to give up as it had been nearly 4 years of hell. When my period came back l found that my pms was of the charts l felt suicidal l was moody l felt ill l was a nightmare. This was all in the week leading up to my period. When it came l would get 3 days of heavy bleeding then it would stop which was not to bad but it was the PMS that was ruining my life. My doctor advised l get the mirena fitted to see if it would help things.

Well l has it fitted over a month ago and it was really sore getting it fitted but l just kept thinking it will be worth it. I never had any bleeding and when it came to my time l had a slight show of blood every day or so but not enough to call a period. I have had no pms so far but l have had showing of blood for the past 2 weeks. Nothing thats bad or period like but it is there. I am hopeing once it settles in the bleediing will go alltogether. But no regrets so far.

Good luck

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.