Mirena Coil inserted last Tuesday - Cramping is awful

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi ladies, I had the joys of having a laprascopy and hysteroscopy last Tuesday and also the insertion of a Mirena Coil for heavy bleeding. I have had such awful cramping yesterday and today but yesterdays cramping was the worse, I swear if it had continued any longer I would have gone down to A&E, I've heard that some of the cramping can be labour-level. I have to give it time, I know but I really didn't want it in the first place but 5 mins pre-op the gynaecologist kept really trying to pressurise me into it and made a good point that just a laprascopy alone wouldn't change anything, which is of course true. I have vaginismus so I will not be able to have it removed unless under anaesthetic whether it be local or general. I will not be able to undergo the check up of the strings in 4-6 weeks either which I was not told about either until after it had been inserted. I feel really disappointed and angry that I was told lies about the coil beforehand and not everything was talked through with me. I'd like to ask when and if these cramps subside? I didn't think anything could be worse than the period pains I already had but this is on a whole other level!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I just got my Mirena in January! Yes the pain was TERRIBLE. Nothing I've ever felt and I've never had babies, etc. I to was wondering when the cramping would stop. I'd say for me by the second to third day they were really very light cramping. It was about a week before things really settled down for me. I do still get a few very light random cramps. I understand your pain, it was bad. neutral On another note I think it's really ridiculous that you weren't told about everything that's involved with the IUD. I'm sorry that has happen to you!

• Posted

Hi, just wondered if things had settled down for you now. I have had really bad periods over the last 18 months, am heavily on more than I am off, seen consultant a few times, have abnormal hormone levels and have been booked in for camera, biopsy and mirena, through day patient surgery.

So wondering how you are getting on now...obviously bit nervous now lol. Would really appreciate some advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.