Mirena fitted to assist Menopause?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - there are simialr threads but love some specific info regarding the Mirena please?

About to have second hysteroscopy and D and C, and due to lining thickening too quickly (suspected from HRT) suggested I have a Mirena inserted at same time as procedure to avoid this again.

Had read lots of bad posts regarding the Mirena, but have to sort this so I can resume some kind of HRT - made me feel so good and going down since stopping itsad

Thank you to anyone who may have some thoughts or expereince with this.

Enjoy your day everyone, love the support from this amazing site.

Loui x

4 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loui,

So this worries me a little.

I don't know anything about the mirena other than it's some kind of progesterone?

How did you know your lining was thickening, are their symptoms of it?

I've been on HRT 4 months, have a bleed about 7 or 8 days when I take the progesterone. First month fairly heavy for me then taking a day or two longer into the progesterone and becoming lighter, this last month very much as my normal period would have been quite light.

The first two were considerably heavier than the last two.

• Posted

Hi Zig, Had a hysteroscopy and D and C August last year to clear the lining and to check there was no other reason for the bleeding - then another scan (because of heavy bleeding after commencing a second type of hrt) this showed the lining had thickened again - to the Dr.s concern. Not sure if there are any symptoms - but was told the hrt feeding the lining and to stop. The Mirena is a type of contraception that will control the lining - then I may be able to go back to a diff form of hrt - so much trial and error - becomeing sick of it allsad My periods had totally stopped - so if you are having reg periods you will be in a diff catagory to me - still would check it out further - most side effects pamphlets will mention bleeding though. Sorry cant be of more helpsad

Keep you posted,

Loui x

• Posted

I haven't had the Morena but I saw on the news a week ago in las Vegas about a woman that had it and it moved and lodged into her uterus and she had to have surgery to remove it.
    • Posted

Thank unico - was chasing some positive info - had read more than enough of the badsad

Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Loui

• Posted

I'm sorry I wasn't of much help but please do much research before using the morena because we have enough problems and side effects just from Peri to worry about something else and the side effects!
    • Posted

Hi again Unico - all good - I do much research on all products/procedures before going ahead, hence asking on this site for some positive reviews for the Mirena. Like anything in life people tend to blog/post/talk/write about negative rather than the positives and I fully understand that.

If all of us were 100% healthy and care free there would probably be absolutely no-one using these type of forums.

I think they are a great resource for us all - especially people like myself who live so isolated from people and have no family close by.

Thank you,

Loui

• Posted

Hi there...I have some positive news for you!

Your story is very similar to mine. I too had thickening of endometrium and had lots of polyps. In January I had them removed and a d &c.

My doc recommended a Mirena to keep lining thin which I had done at the same time. Like you I was sceptical but it's been the best decision I've ever made. No bleeding now and moods are improving.

I honestly say don't read the negative stories on the Internet as human nature will always verge on the side of horror stories. I've been happy with mine. Best wishes ❤❤❤

• Posted

Hi Rhino

i too had the Mirena fitted in March 2014, yes it stopped the heavy periods, but unfortunately for me that was all, I felt awful the whole time, moods, anxiety, lots of bad spots, which I had never suffered with before, complete loss of libido, I stuck with it till, January this year and then had to have it removed, I am now back to my normal self, I feel so much better. Yes the heavy periods are back and I'm still getting the odd peri symptom, but my anxiety as subsided massively as have my moods, spots gave cleared and my libido is back.

but it does after be your decision, every one is different, but with the Mirena it does seem to not suit a lot of ladies.

best of Luck xx

• Posted

Hi! I have the Mirena and I think it's great! The fitting didn't really hurt, and I had minimal bleeding for a day afterwards. I have Evorel patches for oestrogen, and now feel really settled/stable on this combination, although it did take a while to settle down, but this was about the Evorel dose rather than the Mirena. Feel free to ask if you'd like any further info smile 
  • Posted

I had the Mirena fitted one week ago - practically bullied into it by a speciaist meonpause GP. I was very uncomfortable after it was fitted (and it wasn't an easy fitting). I felt progressively worse, then went back and it turned out I had a urine infection (after only one week)! I begged her to take it out and she was extremely stroppy with me. I am intolerant to progesterone which was why they suggested it. I feel great on oestrogen only, but obviously that is not an option since I still have a uterus. I am now back to the drawing board.  I should, perhaps have given it longer, but I felt so uncomfortable (i could FEEL it when I sat down!) that I just wanted it out!
    • Posted

I had a coil fitted years ago for birth control I don't know what make it was.

It was the only time in my life I had any kind of period problems heavy spotting in between and it put my partner off sex because it kept stabbing him.

When they took it out after a few months they didn't like the look of it it was all gungy and apparently they shouldn't get like that I only had it in a few months.

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for helping me with all your posts. At my witts end over the Mirena decision I ran a hospital and told them of my plight and isolation as to where I live. A gorgeous lady (who is also a Professer) offered some advice and suggested that after my procedure I try Femoston (HRT) and not the Mirena at this time. So heading in that direction now, and will go to other posts to see how others have found this medication.

Thank you all again,

Loui x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.