Mirena inserted for almost 2 years, now the strings have changed.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had the mirena coil inserted in June 2016. My periods stopped about a month after insertion. I've not really had any side effects besides this. I've always been able to reach up and just feel the tips of the strings until this week. I felt really bloated and kept getting cramps so checked the strings and they were nowhere to be found! Kept checking a couple of times a day and nothing. Checked this morning and they're back but seem mega long compared to what they used to feel like, they now feel that long that they're curled round. I have an appointment at my GP but couldn't get in till next week.

Anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Losing the string doesn't necessarily mean the IUD is out of place. I lost my string the first time i have intercourse and haven't seem it since (Oct 2017). I had a scan and the IUD was in place. Get the ultrasound anyways to be sure but i wouldn't worry too much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.