Mirina Coil and HRT

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I am 46, perri  menopausal & currently taking Femoston 1/10 which gives me both Estrogeon  and Progesterone. I’m not too keen on the Progesterone bit.  Therefore, I plan to have the Mirina coil put in next month - currently have the copper coil but it should have been changed years ago!  Do you think it’s ok to go for this Mirina coil just because I don’t like the Progesterone part of HRT?   I just wonder if it’s better for your body to have periods? Thanks in advance ladies! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I once had a mirina coil fitted, not when in menopause but to try and regulate my hormones. I had it in for 6 weeks and went back to my dr who did not fit it, it was put in at the gynaecology unit at local hospital. I was getting lots of ovary and uterine pain so my dr took it out. On the end of it was a large lump of foul smelling, green mucous and gp said that this coil was quite hard to get in exactly the right place. So be prepared. Unless it is correctly positioned by someone who really knows their stuff, you can end up with a nasty infection. Hope this is helpful to you. XXX

• Posted

Hi Tina, 

Thanks for the heads up ! 🙂

• Posted

Please pay more attention to your gynecological health! It's not something that one can neglect without consequences. xx 

• Posted

Hi there, what side effects of the current progesterone do you not like?
    • Posted

Hi Lydia, for the first couple of months I was having heart palpatations (only when on the Progesterone part of the cycle)but to be fair that has subsideded.  It's hard to explain but I just don't feel that good on it,terrible sleep, slightly more adgertated. I don't know, just prefer the two weeks of estrogeon xx

• Posted

Totally get not 'feeling good' or feeling like yourself when trying to work out the balance between the two. I have friends whose lives have changed for the better and have had no problems with Mirena, but when I tried it a few years back it was a horrible experience. Massive anxiety, spotting constantly, weight gain and emotionally all over the place. I stuck it out for as long as I could but after 4 months I got my local gp to remove it. I felt like I'd failed somehow, but gp said some women are more sensitive to synthetic progesterone than others. Just do your research before making a decision. I wasted 4 months on trying to stick it out with mirena, but after removal all my symptoms reduced really quickly. So good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

My experience with the Mirena was not good. I had terrible anxiety I believe due to the pergesteron,  had to have it removed two years after I had  it put in. symptoms subsided about three months after I had it taken out.
    • Posted

Mmmm...interesting Kellithx for the feedback x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.