Mirror examination

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been finding difficulty with mirror exams due to varifocal lenses and other problems.  I was wondering if maybe a periscope might make things easier.  I haven't managed to get one yet but if anyone has one out there could you let me know if this is any good before I go to the expense of buying or making one.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hello - this is not an answer but rather 'solidarity' as I have the same problem with varifocals!  I hadn't tnought of a periscope but, like you, will be interested in replies you receive here.   
    • Posted

Lets hope someone has a periscope and can answer this problem.
  • Posted

Hi Chrisy,

Have you thought about using a camera? SoSome will allow you to get up really close and you can compare progress over a period of time.

Annie

• Posted

Have done this but find it difficult to hold everything apart and take a photo of the right area.  But yes this does help I was hoping that a periscope might make the process easier too.
  • Posted

What about a pair of binoculars?  the camera is a good idea too.
    • Posted

I don't think binoculars would work but thanks for the idea.
  • Posted

Hi , my eyesight isn't brilliant so I have used a magnifying mirror. Hope this helps.good luck.
  • Posted

I take pictures with my digital camera on self timer.  Works well this far and this way I have a permanent record to look back on.  Especially when you want to do some comparison with what was before.  

These tri-vocals are the pits if you have to do things like inspecting the bottom with a mirror.  

• Posted

It is so hard getting older.  I can't always focus with a magnifying mirror.
  • Posted

A few people here mention the use of cameras and magnifying glass. I don't use anything just a small mirror - should I be using a magnifying class?? I feel I can see but could I be missing something!? It's driving me mad scrutinizing the area everyday already that I can't imagine seeing everything up so close.
    • Posted

I think it is us older women that need magnifying mirrors and better glasses.  If your eyesight is good you should beabl to notice changes.
    • Posted

Yeah I think if your eyesight is compromised a magnifying glass would definitely help
  • Posted

My eyes are to bad to see anything but I know I am sore and that it !!!
    • Posted

If you are sore and cannot see to examine yourself I hope your practise nurse would oblige and check you every few months at least.  Have a chat with her, if not a consultnat should check you every 6 months.
  • Posted

I thought this was a joke!!? but all that scoping around under bedclothes trying to see...i get it!! is there such a thing as a handheld periscope? brilliant if there is?

liz

• Posted

It is more about getting things focused at certain angles with varifocals.   I thought  a periscope might help. Then realised a lot of us might find one useful.
    • Posted

how thoughtful and what a good idea! I wonder how it could be done? Any ideas to build on the concept?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.