mirt and sleep

Posted , 1 user is following.

Have been on 15 mg mirt for a week. GP prescribed it for my insomnia. First night slept for 12 hours straight through. But the sedative effects seem to be wearing off. Last night slept for 3 hours before waking up and not being able to go back to sleep for yonks, and by then it was nearly time to get up for work.

Am wondering whether I need a higher dose, but I've read that the higher doses are for people genuinely suffering from depression. The only depression I have is from worrying about not being able to sleep. I thought mirt was the answer, but now am not so sure.

Any people with experience on this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there

I have just started on Mirt, 3 days for me, first night i took 15mgs, felt totally stoned, could not believe what an effect on me it had! I slept solid for 4 hours more sleep than i had in days! But lay awake after but still feeling stoned. Could hardly get my head of the pillow the following morning and felt heavily sedated all next day, phoned doc and said to cut it in half, so i did the next night and did feel beter the next day , but still feeling heavily sedated today, it is supposed to wear off but cannot stand this feeling, anyone else feeling like it? I have had terrible problems sleeping too, but like you, i have depression because of worrying about not sleeping!!!! Would love to hear more stories please.......

• Posted

Hi there sorry not replied.

I stopped the mirt after 10 days as it was making me really angry. But while I was on it I felt ok in myself. It's now 2 and half weeks on and I'm back on the mirt 15mgs as felt really low. I was only using it for sleep but it does actually help with all the other stuff too. Not looking forward to feeling angry and zonked again, but at least if I'm sleeping I will feel more able to tackle the other stuff too.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi and thanks

I can't say that i have felt angry, i feel impatient and a bit agitated tho, and so zonked out its over 3 weeks now and this sedative feeling should be wearing off surely, any advice anyone?

x

• Posted

Hey. I've been on Mirtazapine now for 6 weeks. I suffer from sleeping disorders, plus BPD and depression, and I can safely say this stuff sucks. I was started on 15mg to apparently aid my sleep, calm my anxiety and to stop me feeling low, but in all honesty, it has done nothing for me. Now I'm on 45mg, which means the apparently obvious sedative effect has been removed (As you know, lower doses=higher sedation) and I feel more angry and anxious than I did before. Speak to your GP/Psychiatrist or whoever about changing medication. If it's just sleep deprivation, try Zopiclone. I tell you, it's great stuff, but make sure you have 2 nights on, 3 nights off. I used it each night (the only way I could get sleep) for 4 weeks, and I had the worst withdrawals ever once I ran out. Now I'm cool, I have mirt and zopis nightly, but zopis do the best job ever.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.