Mirt & high Cholesterol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please has any one taking Mirt had an increase in Cholesterol? and how do you cope or bring down the cholesterol to normal why on Mirt

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

charles

I was unaware that mirtazapine could increase cholesterol and triglyceride levels in your blood until I just looked it up. My neurologist (epilepsy) prescribed mirtazapine for depression and insomnia and it isn’t working as well as it used to after changing meds. He doesn’t do blood tests. I also found out it may increase the chance of a seizure when taken with 2 anti-seizure meds which I don’t take.

My GP does blood tests and my cholesterol level was on the high side on my last visit. He didn’t relate this to mirtazapine and told me to eat less meat and eat more nuts like walnuts, almonds, pecans, and even peanuts, but he recommend the first 3 the most. My favorite nut is cashews but he said it wasn’t as effective. Besides, it has a high fat content.

steve

• Posted

My GP also did not relate my high cholesterol to Mirt but my pharmacist did. Am on strictly diet to lower cholesterol and i do some sport but is still high, now am trying a cholesterol lowering med with less side effect to see if it comes down
  • Posted

Mirtazapine may also increase the amount of sugar in your blood aswell (I notice it does for me) - it causes weight gain! definately - it also slows down your metobilism. If you have problems in these areas I would sugguest you ask your Gp for a different AD.  I am in the process of coming off it right now - switching to prozac instead
    • Posted

sphrah

I have suspected that mirtazapine might slow down your metabolism besides craving sugar. Since the change in my seizure meds. I’ve been having bad dreams and wake up 3 or 4 times a night because of them. I stay in bed for +/- 6 hours minus waking up from the bad dreams night after night. I might ask my Dr to change from mirtazapine to another med. I first tried prozac but that didn’t work, I hope it works for you. Maybe with the change in my meds prozac might work.

steve 

• Posted

those dreams are such a crazy side effect eh?

this is my 6th week on Mirt* and Ive been on 30mg for 5 of them weeks, the dreams are all night long and like you i was waking up 5-6 times a night , it was like i was at the MOVIES!

I asked my doctor for Trazedone to help me sleep and STAY asleep, which help me trememdously...I still dream like a movie star every single night but my waking up times are less thanks to thr Traz

• Posted

Hey

Its funny I loved my dreams from Mirtazapine and thats the one thing I will miss from it. 

Saying that there was a time back in 2011 when I tried to come off it the first time, I had the most awful night terrors - re occurant nightmares, I was like a little kid and couldnt sleep without a light on -thankfully that didnt last.

I hope this doesnt sound like a funny idea - but I found listening to this Paul Mckenna hypnotherapy CD (he has quite a few that come with his books) before I went to bed, would always help me dream better. You can also get hypnotherapy for free on youtube. Try to go to bed in a good frame of mind. 

Also you should know - the strange and extremely visceral dreams from M do wear off after about two months. 

Trazodone is good stuff - but avoid it if you ever get mirgraines or if you ever drink alchohol. 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, its almost 2 months now, and you are right , the vividness of the dreams is decreasing,, i do not remember my dreams sometimes now, and Im okay with that..

I do not plan on coming off Mirt* anytime soon, and I have lessened my dose to 50mg traz..

thanks for your tips.

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.