Mirt Withdrawal - 7.5 Months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I am now 7.5 months since my cold turkey stop from mirt, Feb 27. I am still having nausea, weight loss (30 pounds), weak / fatigue, abdominal cramps / spasms / pain, sleep interruption due to abdominal cramps, headaches, loss of appetite. These aren't as bad as they have been, but are bad enough to keep me in bed most of the time. I go for short walks when I feel that I can. I am also having tremors. I was on mirt 45 for 8 years. Just to let you know how long symptoms can last. I have had a CT of the brain, 2 abdominal CTs, one with contrast, one without. I have been to the hosptal ER 5 times with symptoms that I was afriad was something serious, which is when these tests were done. My GI doctor says that I should get a colonoscopy if the weight loss continues, 30 pounds over 7.5 months, mostly at the beginning of withdrawal symptoms. I am, also having gas pains and bowels churning, and infrequent constipation. If you are in withdrawal, and this sounds like what you are going through, or have gone through, please reply. In addition to anxiety and depression, started at withdrawals, and feelings of doom and despair are causing fear and stress, and already having Irritable Bowel Syndrome, the symptoms are hard to take. Thank You

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also, I had an EKG, blood work, and urinalisys (kidneys checked) each time. This has been hell, and I strongly suggest anyone going off mirt to think long and hard about having a tapering system that is as easy on you as it can possibly be, no matter how long it takes. This has been the most difficult time in my 62 year old life. I am a retired fire chief, and even with that type of stress, this has been much worse. I have fealt at time like I was going to die, and at the time, didn't really much care. I love my family, and their support, particlarly my wife, has kept me from giving up. By the way, going to the doctors for this hasn't really been any help. My last ER visit the doctor said, David, I don't have a clue as to what is making your abdomen hurt so bad. He then handed me my papers and walked out.
  • Posted

Have you tried colpamin mint oil capsules. I used to have the most terrible IBS before going on mirtazapine and they really helped a lot. I dread the day when I may have to come off the drug. I find it hard to comprehend how you can still be in withdrawal after all this time and wonder if the mirt makes a permanent change to your digestive system which becomes apparent when it's no longer there. However, I would urge you to have a colonoscopy to rule out anything sinister.
  • Posted

Hi David,

I'm curious to know about your abdominal pain you've been experiencing. I'm only a week off the mirtazapine cold turkey and I've got the worst stomach pains, it's kinda like a knawing hunger pain that won't go away. It's worse when I lay down flat and keeps me up most of the night cos I just can't get comfortable and eating just seems to make it worse. My Dr said it was GERD but I've had reflux and this feels different. Just trying to figure out if it's connected to the WD or a problem in itself.

• Posted

Teejade, I have been to the hospital and had 2 abdominal CT scans because of abdominal pain. First, going cold turkey was a mistake, as it will make thw withdrawals worse in every way. It commonly causes abdominal cramps / spasms because there are muscles in your stomach and abdomen and stress makes them tighten, causing pain and fatigue. Also, most people lose weight because it causes them to lose their appetite. What was your dose and how long did you take it, as those details figure into the picture as well. As far as what the reason for your pain is, I could only guess, as I had the same thing to deal with, and still am not 100% sure what is still causing me problems. I wish you luck on recovering. David
    • Posted

I was on 30mg for 2 years. I was on it to help me sleep so I didn't have night time anxiety attacks. But the doctors think I'm having a rare side effect that's causing a myalgia type condition because since January I've lost my voice nearly every week which is why I'm coming off it quickly. But I'm only 23 and no longer in circumstances that create anxiety for me so I was hoping that my body will be able to tolerate the WD. I'm prepared to go through hell for a few weeks if that's what it takes, I guess it's just the not knowing what exactly to expect, everyone seems to have different experiences, all to different levels of intensity coming off. So far I haven't had much anxiety if at all since coming off, just insomnia, stomach pain and lethargy. I know though most say it actually gets worse around the 10-14 day mark though.
    • Posted

Teejade, I am at 7.5 months, and am still having abdominal, fatigue, anxiety, stomach spasms. It is not as bad as it has been, but but if you plan to be out of the woods in just a few weeks you might be in for an unpleasant surprise.
  • Posted

Hi good to read your comment as my stomach really bad atm. I was mirtazapine for eight months but hated Wright gain. My doc told me to take my usual 15 mg dose every second day for two weeks and start sertraline end of first week. Anxiety through the roof, nausea, on toilet for hours, ended up on diazepam too. After two weeks ended up in A and E three times. Like you thought it was something physical as kept retching while waiting. Told I shouldn't have been given diazepam nor told to miss a day of mirtazapine. This information did not help my anxiety. So now week later on 100mg Sertraline and quetiapine 25 in morning and 50 at night. Stomach in bits still. No appetite, waking all night but less anxiety. So fed up with docs messing me about. Reading on mirtazapine withdrawal think that on top of second antidepressant and diazepam not surprising I felt sh*t. No one warns you. Ironically quetiapine gains weight. Whole reason I came off mirtazapine.
  • Posted

Wow youre Exactly the same as me. Im 8 months in and my symptoms are identical to yours. I was rushed to hospital twice and my stomach is still bad after around 5 months of GI issues. The tremors never let up either, mostly in the legs.
  • Posted

Hey dave. So sorry to hear this. I'm 75 days off of mirt and thought i was in the clear, not so. I have lost 15 lbs. already and can't get out of bed either..Wow, is this withdrawal?? I was on 15 mg for 8 years. Been to the er, ended up in the psych unit, they tried giving meds but they made me worse. I dont feel like myself at all...How are you feeling now? Does it get better? Hang in there.... This is crazy
    • Posted

Richie, I just responded to the other post you sent. Please see the reply, as it will be the same.

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.