Mirtazapine 15mg

Posted , 7 users are following.

My Dr has just taken me off Citalopram 40mg over a two week period, and gave me diazepam 2mg to help. Today she has started me on Mirtazapine 15mg and advised me to use diazepam with them. I've been researching the drug and am worried that it's main effects appear to drowsiness and weight gain. I'm already overweight and struggling to stick to a diet. My Dr has signed my off from work for 2 weeks but I'm finding it difficult to talk to her. I honestly feel like she doesn't care. The reason I've posted this is because I really need some encouragement. Thanks for reading xx

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey i took 15mg mirt. for 3 months. Two weeks off them now and i have to say they are truly life changing so maybe just go with it. I gained weight but nothing a bit of exercise cant fix. And i understand it is hard to exercise when you're feeling blue. For the first two weeks i felt drowsy but it wasn't that bad. It helped me sleep but i did find it difficult to concentrate. Sorry to hear about your doctor. Try stay with a friend for the first week as it can make you feel odd. All the best!
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty - yes, exercise is a big help. I found I was best suited to plan it for say 11am, giving plenty of time to wake up. This does improve over the weeks and I also found taking it at the same time each night, say 8 pm also helped. I did feel extra uh grey but at least I got some sleep at night. All the Best, David .
  • Posted

Hi iv been on 45mg for 9 weeks.i haven't put on any weight but having suffered from an eating disorder I'm aware of what could happen so I'm very careful about what I eat.i don't really feel that drowsy with it I'm very good in the morning do feel really tired around 4 o'clock but if I just sit down and rest it usually passes.
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty,

Dr's don't always volunteer drug info, we need to be ready with questions where possible. Mirt is a good Antidepressent but will make you feel hungry, that's why the weight gain! You could try to keep to a balanced diet with excersise, also keep things like carrots handy, usual dieting methods.  Also keep in mind why your on Mirt, make sure it's worth your time on it as it can be an ordeal to come off it later, I have been tapering off it for nearly 5 weeks and still have 8mg to go! (From 30mg)

At the end of the day we go on these med's to help us over the worst periods, but I'm a firm believe after this we should do therapy (CBT) and self help, or we can be stuck on these med's.  At the same time we're all different with different problems and different reactions to these med's, which is why it's important to always include your Dr in any decisions, also sometimes for reasons we don't know or understand.

Good luck with you Mirtz, most people it helps by week 4, some, like me, it took 8 to 10 weeks, but I really don't get on with med's. You can find lots of advice on this site, most good. Take care, I picked up on a good saying, if your walking through hell, DON'T stop, KEEP walking, I think it applies to the more seriously depressed. Cheers, Norm

• Posted

Hi.  My gp has just started me on the same drug as yourself 15mg. But not with diazepam as well.  I have been taking it for two nights now and feel a little bit drowsy in the morning, but as anotherr lady mentioned, the drowsiness should wear off after a while.  I hope so.  I dont think gp`s  care too much about insomnia, mine gave me a sleep hygiene sheet to read. As if thats going to help.  Maybe ask for some CBT, but there is a waiting list. I had a 45 minute telephone consultation yesterday but the next one is not until July.  You probably drowsy because you take diazepam as well., although it is a low dose.  Try taking one on alternate nights maybe. Find whats right for you. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice. I've stopped taking the diazepam and have seen definate progress with the Mirtazapine. Sleeping less but feeling dizzy. Still eating way too much so trying to walk everyday. I don't want to be on these meds for long so will try harder with CBT methods - positive thinking, excercise, etc. 

I hope you are all feeling well xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.