Mirtazapine 15mg to 30mg and back again

Posted , 1 user is following.

I would really like to hear others experience of different doses for anxiety.

About 7 weeks ago i started having a few panic attacks and 24/7 anxiety. I stopped sleeping for a few nights and was prescribed Xanax, which helped but made me nervous from an addiction perspective. a week or so later, a Psychiatrist put me on Citalopram and initially it made my anxiety worse. I understand that it is a side effect in the early days, but my Insomnia was so bad and driving me crazy, that i needed something to help me sleep. So after 6 days on Citalopram, I was asked to switch to Mirtazapine 15mg. The first night was great, i slept for 10 hours and though i had some side effects (nightmares, sweating, jelly legs) in the first week, these settled down and i started to feel good. it really felt that the anxiety has gone away. I did also start some counselling and eating healthy, exercise, supplements etc. as well.

After 3 weeks of progress (I started meeting with friends and thinking about returning to work), my doc suggested increasing to 22.5mg because 'it was unlikely that 15mg would be a long term effective dose to help me recover fully'. A few days into the 22.5mg dose and i noticed that i was starting to feel a bit light headed. After 6 days, i had a mini panic attack and the anxiety returned. My doc suggested i increase to 30mg, which i did and held it for 9 days at that dosage. But i didnt feel any better. I felt more on edge and my sleep was more broken - waking up 3/4 times in the night and awake early every day. Mood low especially in the morning, back pain getting worse, jelly legs all morning/afternoon and after taking the pill in the evening.

Having read alot of info about Mirt, including this forum, i told my doc that i thought 30mg and even 22.5mg are too activating for me. I think that my issue is anxiety and not so much depression and i have read that higher doses can increase anxiety. She did agree to try this, though she said that we may need to introduce an SSRI to complement the Mirt 15mg.

I am now tapering back down to 15mg. My doc suggested 4 days at 22.5mg and then 15mg. I am on day 4 and so i should move back to 15mg today. The jelly legs and nervousness had improved a little at 22.5mg so far.

I would be really interested to hear other peoples experiences of taking 15mg vs higher doses for anxiety. Also any views on my situation. Thanks.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.