Mirtazapine - 2 weeks in after Sertraline....

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I’m new to all this so here goes....I am hoping that I can get some positivity and faith from people that have had similar experiences!! I have been suffering with low mood/depression and anxiety for the last 3-4 months. Went to doctors and was given SSRI Sertraline 50mg (2 weeks) then 100mg (4 weeks) - was actually feeling worse!! Went to see a psychiatrist privately and he advised due to my symptoms mainly very low mood, no motivation, anxiety due to worry about ever coming out of this hole and no sleep to switch immediately to Mirtazapine 15mg. I can honestly say within 1-2 days I felt like a different person. Slept well and my mood lifted until around 10 days in when again I seem to have crashed and my mood is low. I have gone up to Mirtazapine (30mg) now on psych instruction for last 3 days and hopefully await some relief. I was reading that it may have been the fact I still had Sertraline in my system that Mirtazapine had an amazing effect as a combination and now Sertraline is out of me I have dipped again. Does anyone have any positive stories about Mirtazapine? So far I have managed to keep going, no time out from work although nowhere near what i can be. Finding it very difficult!! Only 2 weeks in so probably got to ride the storm some more.....thanks for reading....B

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm in the same boat ben. I started Mirtazapine 45mg and they didn't work for me but I will say I slepted well. So Dr put me on Sertraline 50mg but that wasn't agreeing with me but in between I wasn't wean off? Been back to my gp and gone back on Mirtazapine 30mg for one wk then down to 15mg but I'm not sure what my dr has planned for me. I'm really down atm so find day time a struggle atm. I'm off work for this reason. My mood and thoughts that go through my mind kills me. I've plucked up the courage to see a councillor at the end of this month. I am determined to beat this and be back to my old self. It's a big burden on family life at the moment so I'm hating it. I hope you feel better soon ben.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Clem....did Doc put you straight into 45mg Mirtazapine? That sound likes a strong dosage to start on but I am no expert. Did you take Sertraline 50mg at the same time? If so, did that help? I have my review with psychiatrist tomorrow morning so hoping to get a few questions answered. Will feedback to you if you want? I’m finding it tough also. I have continued to exercise which I have always felt helps, sometimes have zero motivation to do it but also helps with burning calories as Mirtazapine has made me eat more. Keep in touch B....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.