mirtazapine 30mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone, I live in the UK and Iv'e been on mirtazapine for just over 5 months now after attempting suicide back in november 2014. My doctor put me on 30mg and I have to say that the only good thing being on this drug is that you get a really good nights sleep. But for the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to leave my flat and Iv'e become very anxious, last night I didn't take my mirtazapine and didn't sleep at all. Iv'e been depressed since 2007 and tried all kinds of antidepressants but haven't found the right one yet, I am attempting to come off mirtazapine by myself because I can't get a doctors appointment at the moment. Mirtazapine just mong me out in the day and they don't make me feel good at all and Iv'e been told that a drug called citalopram is really good for depression and I want to try that out when Iv'e come off mirtazapine. My question is how long do I need to withdraw from mirtazapine and how do I do it correctly, as i said last night I didn't take my usual 30mg tablet and so far today I feel ok. Any feed back would be most welcome please, kind regards ste 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I certainly wouldn't stop that quick I knocked them down slowly it might take longer but it cuts the withdrawal symptoms down.even if it takes a couple of month it's worth it in the end I would try and see your doc hope you get sorted
    • Posted

thanks for your comment, its very hard to get a doctors appointment and I'm really struggling on the medication so until I can see my doctor I'm gonna wean myself off them gradually and hope for the best, kind regards ste
  • Posted

Hi Stephen,

Usually antidepressant are prescribed for a minium of 6 months. Are you sure that you need to go of the Mirtazapine now? before you see a doctor? I only say this because you said you were suicidal a few months ago. Coming of the meds may trigger that again.

How long do you have to wait for an appointment? If this a doctor who knows you well, get a message to them and remind them about the suicide ideation. 

If you are determined to discontinue, taper off slowly. Go to benzo buddies site and  check out some of the titration tables. I would decrease by 7.5 mgs every two weeks - you can try titrating at 15 mg but that would be too fast for me. Keep a log while you do this. 

There are at least 30 antidepressants available, don't give up too soon - especially if you get suicidial (I speak from experience).  You can always go to the hospitol to see a doctor, can't you?

Wishing you the very best.

• Posted

Hi Stephen. Feel for you.  Was on 30mg Mirta\apine for 2 years - reduced to 15mg with gp consult for about 3 months.  Then stopped completely.  Felt fine and able to cope for about 3 weeks - sleeping ok (agree it acts as a sleeping pill). Then kept waking at 5am and staying awaake - for 10/12 days.  Became exhausted and very low.  Think this was how long it took for the drug to leave my system.  Put myself back to 30mgs for a few days - felt worse so stopped.  Suddenly began to sleep quite well (6/7 hours).  Had some strange dreams!

While in the throes of misery due to lack of sleep asked gp tp prescribe more Mirtazapine but up till now haven't taken any and feel ok not brilliant but ok.

I also asked about citalopram but gp didn't respond.  My problem was and is deep grief after bereavement.  Mirtazapine certainly has helped me cope over last 2 years.

You need to speak to gp asap.  Reducing your dosage might help you to feel more alert.

Hope this helps.  Take care   Geri

• Posted

Thanks geri, I'm gonna see how I go on 15mg tonight and hopefully get a doctor's appointment on Thursday, hope you start feeling better soon, kind regards ste
  • Posted

Hey Stephen, My advise would be don't come off too quickly. I am currently trying different methods to come off Mirtazapine and when i came down quickly in the past i felt better initially and then withdrawal comes quickly and can make you feel really poorly again, like depression and anxiety is racing back. I would suggest maybe drop to 22.5 first and see how you feel. I would also push yourself into getting a doctors appointment so you can talk it through. I like you am unfortunate to suffer from this wicked illness, where its invisble to people around you but very real to live with. I became well on citalopram and stayed well for 10 years on them so these could be a good way forward for you, wishing you all the best and stay strong, there is light at the end of the tunnel and i'm sure we will both get there
    • Posted

Thanks for them nice words and advice Craig, I'm going to try 15mg tonight and hopefully get to see my gp on Thursday, kind regards ste
  • Posted

Hey Stephen, be careful and go gradual if you are coming off meds. Mirt aids sleep so coming off will be the insomnia you experienced which could make you feel worse, I know you might think thats not possible but just try to be practical and sensible. You may need to be very insistent with the doctor for some help. From my experience of Citalopram it did not improve mood dramatically, though others might have different experiences. I am currently on 30mg Mirt, plus Pregabalin for anxiety and am not out of the woods by any means myself either. In my opinion what helps is something positive that takes you out of the depressed place will help you. You might feel that you have no interest in much right now but there will be something. Are you connected with any local help groups like MIND for example? Hang in there Stephen and let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it, yeah there's good days but always a lot more bad days, I just wish I could stay at around 75% good everyday instead of going down to about 10% when it's a bad day, hope you pick up healthwise soon, kind regards ste

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.