Mirtazapine 30mg back down to 15mg

Posted , 8 users are following.

I went from 15-30 and been taking 30 for nearly 2-3 weeks. The 30 made me feel like crap. Few hours in evening felt better. Slept okay for about 5 days on 30 then really struggled with sleep. 2-3 hours at the most. I was almost like it did the opposite affect!!!! And the anxiety on a morning and afternoon, horrible thoughts, depressed, anxious. I've been to docs this morning and I'm coming back down to 15mg, I'm not staying on 30mg any longer, doc was good he could not understand though why the 30 had been so bad. Even when I was tapering citalopram 40mg to start Mirt I never felt that bad. So starting back on 15mg tonight. Also go propanolol 80mg slow release and some diazepam when needed. I not saying Mirt is horrible because 15mg when I first started in April worked great for me, and when I had a big wobble  about 3 weeks ago, I thought yeah 30mg would sort me out. No actually I made me have the worst 2 weeks of my life!!!! I have suffered anxiety on and off for 8 years and these 2 weeks have been awful. So back to 15mg for me and see how that goes can't be any worse than how I felt on 30mg.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 6 weeks on Mirt 15mg and seen my GP today..... I’m still tearful and anxious at times but better than I was 6 weeks ago. I am not increasing the medication but starting therapy on Friday. Research suggests that meds plus talking therapy is good. Watch this space. 
  • Posted

Richard

same happened to me moving up from 15mg to 30mg doc put me back down to 15mg took a few days to stop the side effects they really are a strange drug..

im coming to 13wks free of mirt and still withdrawls

good luck and hope you feel better soon 

kaz

• Posted

How long was you on 30mg for. I was on for 2 weeks. Took 15mg last night and slept a bit better. When I took 30mg i couldn't sleep felt wired and had the most hurrendous morning/afternoon anxiety, what scared me the most was the thoughts I was having about myself. I'm hoping that going back to 15mg will help. I've been given propanolol 80mg slow release too and some 5mg diazepam to take if I get really bad. (Could have done with it on 30mg all day). You would think that if Mirtazapine has worked well at 15mg it would also help more at 30mg when you struggle. 

Well anyway it's back to 15mg, just glad I did not take 30mg longer, so hoping dropping to 15mg after taking 30 for 2 weeks shouldn't be too bad.

• Posted

Richard 

live been on 15 30 45mg of mirtazapine, they just didn't suit me st all in fact they caused me to have anixety as I never suffered it until I was put on mirtazapine. I've been taking of all the different doses over night as my doc believes there is no withdrawals from mirt... when I was taking the 30mg it was around a wk then side effects kicked in was horrible it was my physc who dropped me back down to 15mg and it was around day 3 when the withdrawls hit me..

to be honest im just glad to be free of them as they definitely didn't help me they just caused more problems

kaz

• Posted

Yay, Richard! Sounds like you have a plan. That in itself should ease some anxiety. I, to, fell into the trap where my 15mg dose of mirt, abruptly stopped working for my insomnia. Good luck.
  • Posted

Exactly he same as me Richard went to 30 from 15 mg and felt horrendous so dropped back down. I've started to taper off it as to many unwanted side affects. It does nothing for me for sleep either.

• Posted

That’s true I experienced the same, so anxious next day panicky; horrible I’m back on 15 mg and been feels better than before.

It is strange that this medication is very sedative and lower doses.

Good luck xoxo.

• Posted

How long were you on the 30mg for if you don't mind me asking? I was on 2 weeks before dropping back down to 15mg. Been on 15mg and feel slightly light headed but body feels heavy. I have started 80mg slow release bedranol too to try and help with the anxiety symptoms. Just feel strange like out of my body!!!! Still anxious. Wonder if it's my body adjusting back to the 15mg?

• Posted

Hi babe,

I’ve been on and off antidepressants since I was 12 years old now I’m 35, I came to Australia and I had a breakdown and the doctor prescribed me Mirtazapine 15 mg for the first time; it worked for me for 2 years but I got really depressed by the time and she  put me in 30mg.  I was on 30mg 2 years but I noticed when I took it I started seeing things moving around and panicky, nightmares about my family and I felt so slow next day; my doctor suggested me to take valdoxan 25mg. But I still felt really weird then I decided to come down to 15mg and I got a bit better despite the fact that I got allergy in my eyes and nose,  I’m feeling better now; it’s said that mirtazapine is an antihistaminic which makes sense when you stop taking it you start feeling that alergy.

If you have any more questions don’t hesitate in asking me, hope it helps you a bit.

Lot of love.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.