mirtazapine 30mg for depression and weight gain???????????????????????????????

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 53 5ft 3 female last year weight was 7 stone started takjing  mirtazapine 15mg weight gain rapidly to 8 stone I have been taking it for an eating disorder now I weight 9.5 stone and feel like a balloon. my normal weight previously was 8.5stone. the mirtazapine is what makes me ballooned my stomach is a socking size. I only have one meal a day and that's a healthy meal. I really feel like mr bloby. antidepresants ?????????????????????

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I am 7 weeks off mirt and I am gaining weight, 6 lbs. All I have been eating is salad. I guess I need to exercise, huh?
  • Posted

Hi Sand5700 - yes, mirt has a reputation for weight gain. I was wondering if your eating disorder was because of depression, hence the mirt being prescribed? The doc should have known that weight gain is a side effect. Meanwhile, I would talk to the doc about your concerns. There are many different meds available that could be substituted. Don't worry.

• Posted

hi wayne thanks for your support! yes my eating disorder as due to depression. Feel more depressed as I have gained 2.5 stone since june this year didn't mind a stone and it's not due to over eating I am on one meal a day. I also take morphine so a combination with the both? felt a lot better in gaining a sone have to be honest but the rest ugggg! going to come off them as my eating is ok! thanks again!

• Posted

I've only been on it for a month but I know I've gained weight in that time. I'm refusing to weigh myself as it will only get me down! I'm in the process of reducing the dose so I can switch to a different medication. Not because of the weight gain, but I've had really bad side effects whilst taking it.

Get your gp to prescribe something else. Mirtazapine is an awful drug!

• Posted

I had swollen ankles and tendon pain. I started on 30mg then down to 15mg no back to 30mg. Definitely coming off them. I hope you will be ok! on amore suitable tablet. regards
    • Posted

Thanks Sand!

I've been getting lower back pain, thigh, knee and calf pain... along with feeling like I'm going down with the flu and general headaches. It really is an awful drug!

Isn't there something else you can take? My GP has upped my diazepam while I'm struggling with the side effects. I know a lot of GP's don't like prescribing it but it's helping me loads at the moment.

Good luck with getting off them! Keep us posted on your progress! X

• Posted

sorry all for me missing out character soe of the keys on my laptop are sticking need a new one lol 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.