MIRTAZAPINE 30mg STOPPED WORKING?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone.  Ive been on mirt for 6 months. All going well until past 2 weeks.  Now experiencing the dark lows, burst into tears over nothing, increased energy & weight loss.  I strongly feel that meds are no longer working.  Has anyone had this experience?  LOST

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Deb

I've read of Mirt pooping out many times, but not usually after only 6 months.  There are some other pharmaceuticals that interract, stop Mirt working, some anti biotics and some foods like pomegranite, grapefruit - some are on the leaflet, Maybe choose your own search engine to read more, but drugs . com is a good place to start?  

Yes, have a thyroid check, I think we all need to do this whilst on AD's.  

Hope it helps a little and hope you soon stabilise, with a little luck could be a temporary blip, here's hoping.

• Posted

Hi & thank you to everyone for your feedback & supportive advice. Its great to know that there could be a possability of probs with thyroid.  It was frustrating trying to find info in regards to mirt, my symptoms just  wasnt adding up to the usual side effects of taking this medication.  So relieved to have found a site such as this.  Have made an appointment for Monday to see psych & definately pursue further investigation such as a blood test/thyroid.  Im sorry that you have all been through a tough with health & wish you all well. Its also interesting to consider other meds/foods etc., LOVE you all xx
  • Posted

Just returned from a well worth WASTED appointment with Psych.. Felt so confident that my recent probs were perhaps related to thyroid after reading posts & symptoms pretty much spot on to what I had been experiencing.. damn ol COD has told me to cease taking my 200mg dose of quetiapine... huh??  When I explained to her what I had found out through other peoples experiences & if I could have a thyroid check.. all she did was flap her hands a few times, shook her head until I almost got giddy & repeated no no no as though I had no understanding what NO meant.. now Im totally frizzled grrrrrrrrr.. Taking me off quetiapine is the last thing I wanted to hear, especially after my last hospitalisation in November where I completely lost the will to live.. OMG, I dont know how to get back into seeing the psych that 1st helped me out as he works from the hospital & not in clinics.. Frickn old sag! wished now that I had let all 4 tyres down before jumping the bus..  she can shove her advice by doing meditation.. feel more like cracking into martial arts & use her as a practice brick damn her
    • Posted

What an awful doctor! I think you need to try to progress having your thyroid checked by going back to your GP. Psychs are only tuned into your mental health and physical checks just aren't on their radar. If you come off the quietapine, then meake sure you do so very slowly. It's an antipsychotic. What symptoms did you have before going on it?
    • Posted

Hi evergreen.. yep you are right, should consider going to GP.. give it a few days until I calm down a little after the app with horror hog psych.. before quetiapine I was a total wreck, suicidal, severe depression & mood swings.. seen a really nice psych when I was admitted into hospital & gradually built up my quetiapine levels..  I did mention that to the old dragon when she said that I was to stop meds.. hell, Im so angry & crancky that she didnt give a rats ass in all I said & asking if thyroid could be the prob... oh NO she said.. cant wait to show her what psychotic looks like grrrrrrrrr.. bugger adolf hitlers sister, here comes deb huh.. so tempted to turn up in her 'oshy-poshy' surgery.. Im not normally this wild,  tunnel vision is a def with these quacks.. I will try & behave buddy.. cheers for message x
  • Posted

Very sorry to hear this and although nothing I write helps, I do know exactly how you feel.  These people have tunnel vision, everything has to be about anxiety. I had never heard of quietapine but just looked it up, sounds pretty lethal drug and 200mg a hell of a lot.  Surely, she is not going to just take you off it without doing it gradually.  I am pretty much in the same predicament and I think once I am free of the mirtazapine altogether I will most likely revert back to how I was those three months.  I've burned my bridges with the local GP surgery, they really disgust me their lack of knowledge and empathy particularly towards someone who is not a time waster and hardly ever goes to the surgery over the last couple of decades.  I have an ultrasound that says I have the possibility of Graves thyroiditis and an endocrine surgeon who says dont read too much into that at the moment, let's fill you up with vitamin D and see if this has an effect on the parathyroid and calcium levels. (He suspects a parathyroid tumour but is very cautious which is one advantage I guess)  So when I go down to London in about three weeks and say I could not manage the 50,000 IU Vit D per week, barely managing 30,000 and maybe coincidence but bone pain is much much worse, generally feel rough, ringing in the ears etc. etc. what next???  I have a mental health visitor coming on wednesday and she is very nice but like the psych team, it's not possible to have something wrong physically, it always has to be anxiety!!!!!!!!!!!  She will say it's because I have cut down the mirtazapine so I won't tell her.

Anyway, getting back to you, she cannot take you off the quietapine without tapering not unless she is bonkers herself.

Try not to get upset, I know that is not easy but many of us are in the same boat.  I'm sitting here with my feet vibrating as usual, but of course "that is anxiety"!!!

• Posted

OMG.. I really feel so sorry for all the trauma you are going through & your GP needs a flaming butt kicking for the way they treated you & YEP so right about docs with tunnel vision.. after todays visit Im not wanting to return for another dose of pure 'bull crap'.. feeling parcelled off in a category just like you mentioned.. Oh well, if it wasnt for us LITTLE  people,  they wouldnt be able to plan their luxury holiday 1 - 2 times a year.. Psych told me to cease quetiapine, no coming off gradually.. Truly she was a snake disguised as a human grrrrrrrr..  Im not at all interested in making another app.. no way!  Feeling more relaxed after a few shots of medicinal vodka hmmmmmm..  I have nothing really to complain about when you have been & still going through so much elaine..  Will definately keeping in check how you are doing & hoping that your results are not serious jeeeeeeze.. honestly dont know how I would deal with things if we traded places.. you are a true inspiration..  its not fare that the worst of things happens to the nicest people.. omg I hope you are going to be ok.. TOTAL respect hun x
    • Posted

Thanks for your nice comment deb.  I could fill the page with the goings on which started when a goofy gp didnt notice my calcium was over and was trying to persuade me to chew on 3000mg of calcium per day because of my osteoporosis.  Was then I thought I had better go down the private route, thought I had a decent Endo in Hammersmith, wrong, weeks of misery, no communication debatable ultrasound which I had in October but didnt get the results until followng February, then decided to go direct to parathyroid surgeon in March, he is very experienced but old school.  To date £1600 down the flusher, with his ultrasound doctor saying possible Graves and not parathyroid adenoma.  I have completely lost faith in the NHS and the private sector.

Anyway, I truly hope you get on okay.  I have a whole cupboard full of booze but darent because of my osteoporosis.  Take care and let us know how you get on.  Still cannot believe that idiot is telling you to go off the quetiapine without tapering.  I think you should speak to your own GP about that, but then, hmm, probably as bad as mine. xx

• Posted

awwww you are so nice elaine.. since learning about all you have been through & still going through hell.. so so sorry that you suffer also with pain.. Im really lucky I guess when I see all the crap you"ve endured.. will be keeping tabs on you also.. So tempted to show up at 'Dr GOAT head' surgery tomorrow when meds wear off in my system.. Ive just checked out info on quetiapine & it does say to slowly decrease the dosage before coming off this drug.. more angrier than ever thanks to that wanna be doctor.. WTF!.. Will be so eager to hear good results on your health hun.. not fare you should suffer like you do.. will be keeping tabs on you lovely xx
    • Posted

I'm off to get my hair cut what's left of it lol. Btw that figure I mentioned was just one visit to London in march but to date £5000 on overpriced blood tests scans and useless Endocrinologist. You take care and so glad you don't have pain. Xx
  • Posted

Hi last march I start mirtazapam until 2 weeks ago dose was 30 mg , my doctor increase to 45 mg so now 2 weeks on 45 mg and I'm feeling sh*t ,have fatigue , itchy,spots like blisters ,unwanted thoughts

, confused etc , don't know what to do .

• Posted

Maybe u need to try something else , from last march I start 30 mg until 2weeks age increase to 45 mg , I feel weird , spots everywhere , fitigue , unwanted toghts , etc
  • Posted

Hi deb did you manage to sort out if your mirtazapine had stopped working....I think mine has stopped working!!!! I've got horrendous side effects really bad anxiety every day is unbearable! !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.