Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed it for sleep problems with Parkinsons, I took the first dose 15 mgs 15 minutes before bedtime, by then I was feeling as if I was sinking and heavy. Got to bed and must have gone off practically in a few minutes, (That never happens)  I woke up this morning 7am feeling as if I'd been drugged. The only reason I got out of bed was the dog and cat were scratching at the door to come see me. I feel drunk, confused, can't walk straight. I feel as if I weigh an absolute ton, my mouth will not stop slavering. No more of them for me, I need to lead a life not be a zombie.

I fee like I have been poisoned.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was exactly the same the first time I took mirtazapine. Although for me it was relief as I had been sleeping for only 2hrs a night for 2 months because of severe panic attacks.

I can say that after a week or two you start to feel normal. I was sleeping for about 10-12 hours a night. Take it about half an hour before bed, go to bed early and you'll feel a little bit tired in the morning but it lifts after an hour or so.

Also, I never ever felt so drugged as I did the very first time I had it. It was just the first time that I felt like I couldn't even walk to bed.

Mirtazapine was great for me. The best AD I've ever had. I'd stay on it for life if I didnt gain 11 kg on it. It's also very easy to get off in my experience.

All the best xo

• Posted

I was like that the first day and it got gradually better over the course of a week until the drowsiness the following day was completely gone after around 10 days. Now I don't feel in the slightest bit drugged. It honestly gets noticably better every single day. I was surprised at how quickly I was functioning as normal. I have been on mirtazapine now for 3 years and it still really helps me to sleep, but I can get up at the crack of dawn and feel alert and refreshed.
    • Posted

I have had very severe reactions to drugs before, this is more than just feeling drugged. I felt so cold, my lips were swelling and swallowing was difficult. It has gone off now after sucking ice. I just feel as if I have a hangover.  I think to continue is to tempt fate.  I know from past experience if anything goes wrong no one wants to know anything about it.
  • Posted

The first night was the same for me. I fell asleep on the sofa.

On the 4 the day I spoke to the doctor as felt so spaced out I couldn't function.

Advised to take half dose for one week (doing this at the moment) then back to ,15mg. Also be o take at around 6.00pm so as not to feel groggy in the morning.

Day eight felt very good ( almost normal) !!

All the best and hope you grrl better soon

• Posted

I could imagine that your doc put you on a little bit too high of a dose. My GP started me off with half a tab (7.5 mg) and I was out for 8 hours but in a good way. Some people even quarter the tabs and take only 3.75mg per night. 

I suggest you try half a tab tonight and see how its working for you. If even a quarter makes you feel like you are completely out of it, then go talk to your doctor. 

Actually..... I would talk to him/her anyway and let them know how you feel on 15 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.