mirtazapine 45 mg WEIGHT GAIN

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I was wondering I started these tablets in August when I weighted 9st.6 I now weigh over 12 and i cant shift it no matter what I do, has anyone who has been on this and expieranced the same problem shed some light into how I shift this and how long it takes to actally come off, Your advice would be amazing smile 

thanks in advance

Gemma 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma,  I take mirtazepine 45mg, I did put on a little weight. For me the trick is if I feel hungry between meals I drink water or I buy low calorie items, rice cakes and some fruits. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Christine, thank you for your reply smile i just dunno what to do ive tried everything to get the weight off but nothing seems to help. Im ready for pulling my hair out lol 
    • Posted

It's a simple fact that you are what you eat. To lose weight you have to eat less and/or burn it off with exercise. Try to restrict your intake of high calorie food with lots of fat or sugar, and fill up with vegetables. I know it's difficult, but avoid sweets, chocolates, burgers, etc. I don't know what you eat at the moment, but I've always found that eating sensibly is better than "special" diet plans. You need to find what works for you. I'm lucky, I suppose, I've not gained any weight with mirtazapine, but I have been overweight in the past and had to be strict with myself to get it off again. Make sure you have no fattening snacks, crisps, sweets, etc in the house - it's too easy to just reach into the cupboard when peckish!
  • Posted

Hi Gemma,

It's a long process to come off it safely. Some sources suggest to reduce 10% monthly (which could take up to a year) others to reduce a tablet on one day every two weeks. Let's say in the first two weeks you reduce it on Mondays. Next two weeks you reduce it on Mondays and Thursdays. And so on... Either way it's a long process. I'm on the week three and I halve the tablet on Monday and Thursday but I was on 7.5mg. Not sure if you can halve if you're on a higher dose but try to email cita for advice. Good luck!

• Posted

hi. did u have any probs when u first started taking it? Fortunately i havem't so far but like most folk there will come a time for me to come off it.Are u experiencing any withdrawals?

• Posted

I have some pains and tremor and also high eye pressure, low sodium, muscle spasms and twitching. A few things that came up last year and none of them happened prior to taking this drug. They're all listed as side effects. I don't know for sure but will never know if I don't stop it.

No withdrawls so far at all. It's meant to be much less this way but it may still be difficult towards the end I was told by cita advisor.

• Posted

Hi Gemma - if you go back to view all of the threads about mirtazapine there are a couple about weight gain and diet! They are very interesting and have comforted me with my weight gain so I can see that I am not the only one. I still haven't lost the weight but for the first time ever I don't buy junk now. I always used to be able to have it in the house but not eat it but not now! I buy rice cakes, nuts/seeds and carrots/peppers to cut up in to pieces. All the best
  • Posted

I think most people who take mirtazapine end up gaining weight. Before I took it I had trouble eating until mid afternoon due to nausea. In fact, eating for me was just a chore that I had to do in order to have any energy. If I could have popped a pill instead of eaten, I would have done. So I was pretty slim, and always had been. When I first started on mirtazapine, it was a revelation to me. For the first time in my recent adult life, I began to really enjoy food. I realised what it was like to have cravings and to sometinmes over eat. I put on a stone and a half without even blinking. It seemed to happen overnight. And then suddenly I was unhappy with my weight so tried to come off it. However, after 10 days of not sleeping and terrible withdrawals, I had to go back on it again. I had dropped half a stone in those 10 days.

So then for the next two years I just started to be more careful what I ate and my weight plateaued. I was pretty happy with my weight as preferred to be a little tubbier and happy than skinny and miserable. But then I weighed myself on some scales at my parents house and found that I was a whole stone heavier than I thought I was, and therefore too heavy for my young horse that I will be breaking in this summer. So nine weeks ago I went on a diet and have so far lost half a stone with another half a stone to go. It is not any harder to lose weight on mirtazapine than without. It comes off just as fast as it should. I think therefore that mirtazapine has an effect on your weight to start with, but once your body adjusts to it, it makes things normal again. That is why most people gain a bit of weight to start with when they take mirtazapine, but then it levels off. But you still then have to lose the weight again.

But weight loss on mirtazapine is perfectly possible. Another user on here lost four stone whilst she was taking mirtazapine.

• Posted

thank you so much for your time and advice, this has actually really helped me smile thank you so much, i really wanted an insight into other peoples journey with this drug and how they personally found there weight gain/loss as I had been struggling to loose the extra pounds i gained but it looks like i just need to work a bit harder lol. Thanks again and hope you get down to the weight you want in order to break in your horse.

Gemma 

• Posted

You also need to wait until your weight is steady before starting to diet. I reckon that this takes at least 6 months to a year. Then make sure you count every calorie including drinks. I thought I was eating sensibly before my diet (hardly ever had biscuits or chocolate etc), but when I added up all my calories, I found I was actually eating an average of 2600 calories a day which is too much for most women. I have lost my weight by cutting down to around 1800 calories a day. It's slow but that is what I wanted. I have an active life and so cannot cut my calories too much.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Gemma. Sorry to butt in to this page .. Can you tell me your thinking about mirtazapine. Has it helped you ,are you still taking it. Long before you felt a difference? Any feedback. Everybody is different   X
  • Posted

i have been on 15mg of mirtazpine for a month or so and put 1/2 stone on i run most days go to the gym i have beeen on so many meds,

but theese make me so tired and feel bloated.

thinging about coimng of the meds all tehether 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.