Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

My GP put me on mirts about 6mths ago started me on 15mg then 30mg

They have work for a lot of people but I getting worse I have been getting

head zaps as I call them cannot sleep and bad anger issues and really bad thought that I do not want to be here,I really need some one to talk to the gp  says its the meds,has any one felt this way?and please believe

me I am not feeling sorry for my self. feeling for my husband who has to put up with this terrible depression.thank you for looking

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi  yes sounds like it could be meds try to ride it out and do some relaxation if poss . I know it's easier said than done and yes our partners do tend to suffer . When calm try to tell him how you feel and what it's doing tell him it will end at some point but for now you could really use his help . I try to keep busy  reading  card games on the iPad. Basically a lot of distraction. It's really hard tho . more did help but still want to come off them  I'm fed up with the headaches  sore throats and hay fever symptoms along with everything else .  Just try to remember there is a light at the end of a tunnel you just need to take little steps to get there.  Keep strong  
  • Posted

Hang in there Orchid, you will be ok.  Promise promise.  This time in your life is a dip in the ocean.  Don't put any pressure on yourself, whatsoever.  You are healing yourself and want it quicker than is able.  It does take time and time goes quick.  Your husband will be fine as mine was.  Bless 'em. 

Ride the storm it's completely normal, you're normal and it does get better.  Stay positive.  Talk whenever.X

• Posted

thank you for kind wishes its nice to know people out there

know what is happing to you.

• Posted

Thank youall for your thoughts,what is making it worse I thought about it I have cut them down to quick I am doing 15mgs of mirts and3.5mgs of my sleeping tablets,,

I will try and keep on these and mybe in a couple weeks I will be able to go down further,I would like to know what you think.

• Posted

I did not see your last post Orchid and it seems you are now on 15mg down from 30mg.

The usual advice on here is to taper by 10% each time and a slow taper is more beneficial.

I went from 15mg to 7.5 mg and took my last mirt 8 weeks ago.

This was quicker than recommended.

I have had a tough time but each day improves.

I did not have sleeping tabs and sleep is not good but improving.

Best wishes.

x

• Posted

I have been reading that you can take a liquid form of mirts

have you heard of it Iam due to see the gp on the 21st of this month

I will try and sound her out on this

• Posted

Hi  I asked for this yesterday from my GP. but was told it cost the NHS  £300 a bottle so there was no chance ! I feel. He prescribed them for  me so he should help get me off them . Does anyone else get constant sore throat ? Or is it the anxiety
  • Posted

Hi Orchid,

Did you feel better  when you were on 15mg?

I was doing ok on 15mg and it was wonderful to be able to have a good night's sleep.

How ever my GP increased dose to 30mg and I felt dreadful.

He said nothing to do with mirtazapine and eventually I went back to 15mg.

Every one has a different experience with this drug and if you have not been on this dose for long perhaps things will soon improve and you will benefit.

How ever if you have been feeling bad for the 6 months you have been on mirtazapine perhaps you need to try another AD.

I am so sorry you are going through such a bad time Orchid and I hope that you will soon improve.

Do let us know how you get on but I would definately see your GP again.

Sunbird x

• Posted

Hi Orchid

Many people have said they have "start up" problems when going from 15 to 30mg, if these zaps (very common by the way) bad anger, bad sleep (all common) only started going up to 30 then it points to the 30 disagreeing with you.  

15mg is used mostly for Insomnia and sometimes helps anxiety too. Some people take 15mg Mirt and another AD for depression ~ it seems it's all about finding the right mix.

I have been given the liquid form on the NHS system; luckily as I am withdrawing it is easier to count down.  Not every GP will prescribe it, if you do decide to come down from 30 to 15 do it gradually, depending how long you've been on this amount, 10% rule is best, every 2 weeks or so.

Hope this may help.

Best wishes.

• Posted

thank you very much for your reply,I was only on 30mg for three weeks

and i went to straight down to 15mg I now have been on 15mg for 3 days I thought go on that and then reduce again to 7.5mg in another

3wks not to bad at the moment able to cope,really need to get off these meds and try and leave a normal life.

best wishes   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.