mirtazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I've been on citalopram for 11 days and I've just come back from docters she has taken me off these and put me on mirtazapine 15mg can anyone give me the heads up on what to expect as I'm quite worried someone please help

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Why did she take you off them so soon?
    • Posted

That's no normal to suffer with insomnia at first at leased the matrazapine will make you sleep better.
  • Posted

I can't help, sorry but I hope it improves for you soon. I did struggle to sleep at firsr on citalapram but I am sleeping loads better now.
  • Posted

Hi kaz, 

The mirt will definitely put you to sleep!  A lot of folks have too much sedation up front, hard to wake up and get going in the morning, but that will lessen as you adapt.

MIrt is known to work for depression at the 30+ mg range, and for sleep and anxiety at the lower range, because it works on different receptors at different concentrations.  

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Betsy thanx for replying doc has given me 15mg to start I'm just hoping it works as this is my 3rd antidepressant
  • Posted

Hi Kaz

i was on mirtazapine for 5 years great for sleep but i put on a lot of weight and acid reflux was very bad so went off 12 mths ago now on escitaloprom same as citapopram but 10mg is equal to 20mg in cit.keep an eye on thyroid, bp and cholestral and see if they change.Since i have been off it i lost approx. 12kgs cholestral has gone down and thyroid is getting better i couldnt walk without getting out of breath, now i can jog.I have been exercising and eating better too.Off cholestral meds and reducing thyroid meds. Very small portions of meat,fish and chicken no bread only ccasionally.Salads and cereal(multi grain weet bix with allbran with shredded coconut in mornings.So im unsure if it was the meds or better health regime prob a bit of both. Cheers

• Posted

Hi jran

you say you are now on Escitalopram ? Do you think the citalopram caused weight gain? And Escitaiopram doesn't ? I am eating healthily too but gained weight on cit. About to change to Escitalopram but worried about just switching 20 mg of cot to 10mg of Escit without reducing or coming off cit first. The problem is my weight gain is now affecting my blood sugar and blood pressure so considering switching drugs. My GP thinks I should but concerned about side effects.nWould really value your thoughts on this.

• Posted

What do you mean about this thyroid? ?I'm on medication for my thyroid have been for 5yrs as I have problems with it I guess some put weight on and some don't people I've spoken to on here dint
    • Posted

Yes tou can switch immediately without weening because both drug is ssri.. But still you will exp side effect for the increase

Jv

• Posted

Thanks John appreciate your reply I knew that they are both SsRI's but worried about side effects so will wait til after my birthday in March.
  • Posted

Hi! My mom was on mirtazapine for around a year and could sleep like a baby. The problem is that she also complaint that she was all the time hungry and also gained weight. Mirt is well known to open the appetite.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.