Mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I was on citalopram for 4 years with no issues. I weened off in August and was fine until November time when I was struck with the most awful depression, anxiety and insomnia.

I went straight back on the citalopram but despite increasing to 40mg over 4 weeks it had no effect.

I was then put on sertraline 50mg 4 weeks ago but again this has had no effect.

Sleep is a massive issue and despite taking zopiderm every night I am hardly getting any sleep and what I am getting is not quality sleep so I'm feeling dreadful.

The physiatrist has changed my medication today to mirtazapine. I'm absolutely perfect about another medication change and the side effects this may bring. Also very scared of feeling out of it the next day.

Would really appreciate hearing any experience of this medication.

Thanks

Clare

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Everybody not the same but some people say when you wake up you be like a zombie all day and you can feel space out on it
  • Posted

I had symptoms very like yours.  Mirt was a huge help. Right from the first dose it let me sleep and I feel "normal" again.  I take only 7.5mg of mirt (as that is good for sleep). For anxiety I take 100mg of sertraline.  

The down side is that I need a lot of sleep.  Most people say mirt makes you hungry.  I have found that - but then again I ate too much before too.     

• Posted

I too had huge sleeping problems! Mitrazapine has helped this enormously. I need to go to bed earlier but can't say am too bad in the morning..a shower is the wake up routine! I started on 15 mg last Oct, worked for a bit then had to double it. Still hoping that I won't to increase it..trying to do more exercise slowly but will keep an open mind. All in all a good move. Oh yes I too was on Citaloplan, then Sertraline for a while each. I chose to change from Sertraline (even though it was working) because I discovered it was attributing to cravings for wine (hadn't been a drinker before SSRI medication). It appears to have done the trick and the cravings are no longer an issue. All the best on your journey. Keep us updated as it helps to share. X

• Posted

Mirtazapine knocks you for six the first time and the spaced out feeling lasts for most of the next day. However, this effect quickly diminishes and every day it gets noticably better. The forst week I would not drive until after midday, but after that I was fine. Soon you feel as alert as you do without it the following day. I had no problems getting up and it gave me the best sleep of my life for almost four years. I was able to come off the sleeping pills. Sadly it stopped working in the end though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.