Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

18 years ago i was on this and recovered at 15mg and back to normal.  Recently had spinal,surgery and in recuperation the anxiety and agitation cane back.  I am now pretty depressed about it all  so tried mirtaz again but when i try to increase above 7.5 i become cery anxious.  I have tried,lofepramine, duloxetine, sertraline recently but all make me sick and anxious.  Its as if somebody has saitched on something i cant switch off.  Please. any help?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann. Sorry to hear you are feeling so low. Often antidepressants that have worked well for us in the past, do not work the same way later in life. It may be that your depression is not due to a chemical imbalance in the brain but a direct result of the trauma your body has been through, in which case antidepressants may not be the right thing for you. I would stop the mirt. I hope uyou find a way out of your depression, but it sounds as though antidepressants are not the thing for you right now. Perhaps you could try something herbal such as St John's Wort. My husband is on that and the change in his mood for the better is startling.

• Posted

Thank you for your infomation.  I am afraid i am not allowed to take st johns as  have had clots and embolisms and i have been told it is contra indicated with warfarin. I was hoping i could have tried that.  Maybe i should and put my mental wellbeing before the clotting and just try it.  I would much rather go down the natural route.  The daily agitation and anxiety together with its impact on my lfe outside is slowly killing me. I used to be so happy and sociable till they removed my discs and since that op the anxiety and now depression is awful.   Having tried other anti deps you areight, maybe they are not for me but i know no other path now to try.  
    • Posted

I didn't know that St John's Wort was not advisable to be taken if a person takes blood thinners , i brought some St John's Wort ( cannot remember if it was last year or late 2015 ) as i was desperate to start feeling better but i never took it , the packet is still in my lounge unopened , psychiatrist prescribed yet more medication for me to take so i left herbal attempts , i was on warfarin up until last Summer then because my levels were all over the place , i started on another blood thinner - side effects sweating alot , so was put on another one , i had massive blood clots on the lungs Summer 2015 ( unexplained as not provoked ) so i guess i should ask my GP to see how safe it would be for me to take St John's Wort if i did decide to try it . I hope you find some relief soon x 

• Posted

Thats interesting you thought you might try st.Johns Wort. The Holland and Barrett lady told me not advisable. Did you have success with your anti dep, what was it?   They are talking about putting me on different newer anticoagulent soon. I just wonder if the warfarin is affecting the anti dep efficacy.  I also had clots in lungs, unprovoked so they wont take me off anticoagulents.   I would be interested to hear how you got on with psychiatrist - i have been but they cannot seem to get anything that works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.