mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all im taking mirt  ive been on them for 2 years   i was on 30 mg  and they suddenly stopped working so doctor upped the dosage to 45mg  which have been on 45mg for a year now.  I really want to come off them so went to see doctor  who said she will reduce the dosage to 30mg in feb and then to 15 mg,   she said i can only drop by 15mg every time    im abit scared is that to much to drop ?  Ive read so many people have horrific time coming off them. any advice whilst coming off them would be great.    thanks 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well my Phychatrist said reduce from 30mg to 15mg for 7 days then STOP!!! Great advice and I’ve started Prozac.

This was 8 days ago, I’m not as anxious now and fingers crossed slept a bit better last night. It is making me really anxious and sickly I’ve not eaten properly for days now as don’t feel like it! X

• Posted

Im on fluoxatine (LOVAN) 10mg to start with i hope that becaise i havnt slpwly dropped down from the Mirtazipins 30 to 15 to 7.5 that ill get side effects and how will i knkw if the side effects are from the mirtazipine withdrawal or the LOVAN so yeah im gonna have to keep track
  • Posted

Hi Patricia

I would say that's too quick and you will probably feel poorly with that approach. I withdrew 3.75 at a time. Now I am on the last leg and taking a crumb of mirtazipine approx 1mg. I'm reluctant to give up my crumb but will next week. I have had no adverse effects in doing it this way. Previously I tried big jumps in reducing and became very unwell.

I don't think our GPs truly understand how challenging the withdrawal process can be. Big leaps are not good for our brains, it leaves us unwell and not in a good place. I would suggest a slower reduction. 😊

Wishing you every success with it and wishing you continued good health xx

• Posted

Hi lorraine  how would i go about reducing at 3.75 a time.  and can i ask what mg you was on at the start please.  i so want off this drug  because of the weight gain.  nearly  3 stone in 2 years.    But im  scared to death of having panic attacks again   thankyou xx
    • Posted

Hi Patricia

I was on 15mg. I am on broke my tablet in quarters. Now I shave a crumb off of one of the quarters with my pill cutter. (Easy to get in the chemist or on line) I have also taken mirt for a couple of years. My previous attempts failed as i tried to just break my tablet in half and 7.5 was too much of a jump. I was in a right mess. I have also put on over 2 stone and have noticed my appetite had diminished since being on my little crumb😊. Try not to worry about your panic attacks returning as that may not happen. (If it does happen your GP maybe able to give you an alternative solution)Getting well and happy is something I wish and pray for you x xxx here if you need me 😊

• Posted

I am at exactly the same stage as you. Cutter using about 1.2mg.  Have still suffered anxiety coming down and need diazepam to control.  Highest i ever got was 22.5 and couldnt tolerate it, down to 15 still not great. Then 7.5 for a year and eventually dr said come off in a month.  No way. Have done it very slowly and now ready to jump but concerned about the effects.  I have problems with nausea and diah due to botched gallbladder surgery somits hard to know what is withdrawal effect and what isnt.  Hope you get off and are well.   I assume you dont take anything else?
    • Posted

Hi Ann

We are getting there 😁

I am reducing venlafaxine too now on 12.5 from 75mg! So friday is my stop day from the remaining crumb of mirt and the 12.5 venlafaxine 😊

My stomach is a little dodgy but no anxiety issues so far. My sleeping pattern is occasionally messed up, at this time I take diazepam as it knocks me out! How are you today?

Please stay in touch, it will be nice to hear how you are doing. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Patricia, slow taper should be 10% of the dose every 30- 45 days. M ost drs. are not saavy in getting you OFF drugs. There is a FB page called mirtazipine support and withdrawl. It supplements this site nicely. We can help you with this in a more confidential setting.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for the advice Gretel  much appreciated xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.