Mirtazapine 7.5MG Withdraw. (Please read)

Posted , 39 users are following.

**Anyone who reads this please do not go cold-turkey from this medication**

I have tried to come off this medication once -- I went cold-turkey without realizing what it would do. I wasn't informed about the withdrawal symptoms I would get if I tried to stop it and If I had known before taking it I never would have considered taking this medication. When I went cold-turkey my following symptoms were;

Insomnia.

Vomiting.

Rapid weight loss.

Panic attacks.

High-anxiety.

Depersonalization.

Derealization.

Heart-palpitations.

I was off the medication for about two weeks and I couldn't take it anymore so I went back on it. I was on 15MG for three years, I cut down to 7.5MG when I went back onto Mirtazapine and this is my fourth year on it. Anyone who says 7.5mg isn't doing anything, you're very mistaken because this dosage helps me sleep and has caused me to put on a lot of weight, too. Now I want off it -- but my question is, how do I exactly come off this medication without experiencing what I did before? I need like a guide on how much I should cut down each week or something, and I cannot speak to my GP about this because as far as I'm concerned my GP isn't well informed about this medication because my GP's advice was to stop taking it after 3 days which I did and then I had that hell experience and he actually wanted me to not go back on it. So I am doing this solo, I just need a helping hand.  

4 likes, 77 replies

77 Replies

Next
  • Edited

The recommendation for reduction is 10% monthly but everyone reacts very differently to the medication so it would be hard to say. If your having a lot of issues trying to get off it may be best just to stay on it for now but if you want to get off of it I would just take your time.
    • Edited

Thanks for this information, I'll try it 10% monthly.

• Edited

I agree, as I've been doing the 10% taper and for the most part don't even notice the cuts.  Takes longer but virtually no suffering and more chance for success.

• Posted

what is a 10 % drop? i've been taperin for 2 years and almost 2 months now. At the begining, i started tapering way to much because i didn't know, then i joined a facebook group who helped me taper and do the liquid method but still i tapered every 2 weeks ( i cant remember the % but yeah, it was really fast) then they sais it was either every 2 to 4 weeks the safest way to taper, so i started extending the process from 2 weeks to 3 weeks, then 4 then almost 5 weeks and recently ( not too too recently but like some 4 months to 5 months ago) i started tapering every almost 2 months but i can't remember what a 10% drop is, i'm tapering like this: from 1.4 mg to 1.3 mg (i'm currently at 1.3 mg now) is that a 10% drop?

would appreciate the answer:) and also, you are very lucky that your body doesn't notice the drops because mine does, not to severe like others who while tapering felt like dying but it hasn't been easy either, i've got plenty time where the symptoms where really bad and more frightening, and i'm even having some allergic reactions to food i used to eat before starting this medication, i cant eat coconut and other stuffs 😕

• Edited

it is unrealistic to reduce by 10% increments. a 7.5 mg pill is difficult to split in half let alone smaller pieces. this would involve crushing and making a solution which i for one am not comfortable doing. is there another approach by skipping days?

• Edited

Hello all, I had some personal anxiety problems and could not sleep. My personal doctor prescribed me Trazodone at 50MG and Escitalopram 20 MG. I was told to cut these two meds in ½ and take every day. After taking these drugs for a week I felt worse with suicidal thoughts. I had never been one that takes a lot of drugs recreation or perscription. The pharmacy called me and asked me how the drugs were working. I told her I was waiting for them to start working and had some bad thoughts in my mind. The pharmacist told me to stop the drugs and take Benadryl for sleep. Later that week I saw the Psychiatrist, I told him about my problem with the Trazadone and the Escitalopram reaction. The Psychiatrist prescribed me Mirtazapine 7.5. The first night I took it, I welcomed the best sleep that I had in a year.

After reading your post I did more research on this drug. It leaves me feeling lethargic during the day. I have been on Mirtazapine for about a week now. I do feel better, but I worry about the long term effects of this drug. I would like to be drug free and put less thoughts in my mind and put better things in my body. If you have any suggestion, please let me know. I have been taking about 2/3rds of the 7.5 MG that I have been prescribed.

This has been a very good forum and has given me hope, God bless all of you who has taken out your time to share your experiences with this drug.

• Edited

this is completely impractical . no way ti taper tiny 7.5 mg pills by 10%

• Edited

I'm currently on 22.5mg for 2 weeks, 15mg for 2 weeks, 7.5mg for 2 weeks the doctor told me to come off them then. However i will cut 15mg in 4 & take 3.75mg for a further 2 weeks before coming off

• Posted

Definitely better to cut further than to jump from 7.5 mg which is actually still a huge histamine block that would likely throw you into rebound insomnia jumping from there.  You may even find jumping from 3.75 too much - if you immediately have big withdrawal, go right back to that dose and find a way to cut further.  Good luck!
    • Edited

Going from 3.75 to about 2.5 and now feeling hellish and panic feelings coming back.  It feels like i was before i had the 7.5.  How do i sleep at this level, using diazepam at moment but feel awful.  Will this pass do you think?
    • Posted

how did this go? seems very rapid and wondering how bad withdrawal was?

• Posted

how did it work out for you? i hope you are well now

• Edited

So you could try 3.75mg & see how you get on. I've only been on them 15/30mg for 4 months. Want to taper off them now because don't want to stay on them for a long time. I think withdrawals are inevitable though no matter how slowly you taper. I guess the only reassuring thing is they will subside over time. Many people on here have successfully come off them. So it can definitely be done.

• Posted

I have had to go very slowly since 7.5. Now at 3.75. Difficulty starts here.  Need liquid  do it slow. Just want off it, nervy, nauseous, etc still.  This is one awful drug.
  • Edited

I've just stopped my mirtazipine (7.

5mg) because I've been getting withdrawal symptoms of it anyway while on them for weeks now they have just stopped working for me! What else am I to do? Hope all goes well x

• Posted

I started suffering after being on 15/30mg for 4 months or so. Even before reducing the dose, out of the blue i started to get insomnia & it's been like this for over 2 weeks. The doctor said it couldn't possibly be Mirtazapine because it's a sedative. However i have never really suffered from insomnia before. So i believe it must be down to the Mirtazapine.

• Posted

I also could not sleep while on 15mg  after  2 months-Dr said to stop straight away-so I did-he said you up the dose each time it stops working-he has patients on 60mg. I went cold turkey with help of temazepam and 2 mg valium and after 2 weeks am weaning myself off them slowly and feeling more normal. Wish I had never gone on this  at all . But each person is different and you can either stop or taper down. Good luck.
    • Posted

So was your highest dose 15mg for 2 months?

I started on 15mg for a month & then upped to 30mg for approx 3 months

I've been told to do -

22.5mg for 2 weeks

15mg for 2 weeks

7.5mg for 2 weeks & then come off

However depending on how i feel i will probably do 3.75mg for a further 2 weeks before coming off altogether.

• Posted

Yes highest dose was 15mg. It worked for about 6weeks then pooped out  -I decided to stop cold turkey rather than up to 30mg as dr said  you increase dose up to 60mg everytime it stops working. As i was putting on weight  I decided to stop as dr said it would be ok. But I am glad I stopped using temazepam for sleep and valium 2 mg before bed. Now am weaning off Temaxepam slowly. At least I got good sleep while on it  but it can be addictive if used too long. Is your Mirt still working at reduced doses?
    • Posted

I'm currently taking 22.5mg i'm ok but still suffering with insomnia. Getting to sleep ok but waking up in the early hours. Getting about 5 hours sleep atm. Have tried Zopiclone, Phenergan & Temazipam but not really doing much. Doctor won't prescribe any more sleeping tablets.

• Edited

I honestly believe GP's are not at all informed much about this medication because they seem to know very little about it. I have been passed around from GP to GP and when in the hospital I was passed around from Doctor to Doctor who had no idea what they were talking about because they gave me zero answers when I was suffering from withdrawals and they thought it was, "all in your head". Shows how much they know about it when there's a whole community of people here complaining of withdrawal symptoms. 

• Edited

It really makes me sad hearing these replies. I know what it’s like to have health care pros treat us like the symptoms are all in our heads. 

I’m really glad I saw this thread because I’ve just started dropping the Mirtazapine from 7.5 to 3.75 and have been suffering tremendously. I thought my anxiety was out of control and my doctor always acts like “7.5 is nothing” and shouldn’t be having symptoms from such a low dosage reduction.  It’s amazing how alone you can feel when you’re suffering so much, you turn to someone and they don’t believe you. It’s just awful. I feel so much better reading these replies because I feel like I’m not alone and I’m filled with hope this will subside, I just have to taper slowly and expect a rough road. Good luck to you. I hope you’re well now.

• Posted

Hi costa I know this is an old post ,just wondering if you managed to get off the Mirt have tried twice without success been on 15mg for 1 year now on 7.5mg

• Edited

Hi Andrew,

I'm completely off for the past several months, but it was beyond a nightmare and I think i'm still experiencing some side effects to this day. Doctor tried to give me another drug to help pacify the side effects coming off, but it did almost nothing. He seemed puzzled when when my resting bpm was over 100. Thats when I dropped him and tried to tough it out. He was not helping me and only making things worse. I don't know if you'll experience the same side effects I did, but I once had to go to the ER and had horrible anxiety, along with minor symptoms like ringing in the ears (which i doubt will go away), among other symptoms. It was truly a journey through a dark time. Please be safe when coming off and make sure you have a good support system of a caring doctor and understanding family. You will likely have to show incredible strength to get off it, and it may take a very long time. You will be tested beyond measure, but you will find an inner strength you never knew you had. I wish you all my best. Reach out if you need to. Hopefully this site will send me the message.

• Posted

did you take anything at all during your withdrawls (supplements, ect...)and at what dose did you jump off at?

• Posted

It's been a long time, but I think I tried coming off a half pill of the lowest dosage. It may have been a 1/4 pill, i'm not sure. The doctor gave me a two week dosage of Prozac to help with the symptoms, but the withdrawls were so powerful for me, they did hardly anything at all. I just toughed it out.

The biggest test is that first month hurdle. It will take that long just to clear the initial BOMB. This is not an exaggeration for some like me. Look up the other poster here who was a 20 year heroin addict. He said it was harder to come off the mortazapine, than the heroin. It took him three months, but he also said if you can do this, you can accomplish anything in life.

Hopefully it isnt this bad for you guys, but im telling you this because your inner strength will be your greatest determining factor. There may not be an easy way out if your system cannot metabolize this drug like a lot of us. Like I said, find good support and hang onto your hat. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm not positive. I don't even want to make an educated guess unless I remember for sure and I don't. You need to talk to a physician if you can. I can't imagine coming off cold turkey for anything, unless youve worked down to the lowest dosage possible first. Coming off anything higher, might be dangerous, especially if youve shown sensitivity.

• Posted

sure, I understand I'm on 5 mg right now a night. so you are doing ok now?? How long did it take to get your sleep back? Or how long did it take to finally start sleeping more than a couple hours a night? I already am working with a doc, he is clueless. He originally said I could jump at 15 mg no prob:(

• Posted

Insomnia is just one of the problems this drug was designed for. For me, it was used as an anti-anxiety, anti-depressant. I've actually never had problems sleeping, even with this drug, or coming off it. It just goes to show that everyones body handles the drug differently. This is probably why most doctors are puzzled by certain people having a bad reaction and others don't. Some can come off it with zero side effects and others have a terrible reaction. About me though, I'm slowly getting better as time goes by. It's been a long, hard road, but all the bad stuff has been gone for a little while now. Thanks for asking. 😃

• Posted

hi i been on this drug since 2012 i was on 30mg then went down to 15mg tgen to 7.5mg i found tjat 7.5mg i can function my mistake was increasing dosage back to 15mg since i did thati experienced severe nervous panic and fear every morning petrified feelings or panick and thoughts i now today have only taking 7.5mg to start my journey back on lower dose i have read on some forums increasing dose can trigger panick attacks

• Posted

Have the same problem with this med sleep ok but have anxiety on waking currently on 7.5mg

• Posted

i am off it last year but still suffer anxiety after being on it for a couple of years. psychiatrist is of no help only offering other anti deps which have made me worse. terrible drug, wish i had never seen it.

• Posted

I had same problem exactly was and be been on 7.5mg for about 15 months was originally on 45mg then tapered to half of 45mg then continued until i was on 7.5gm then because i had a about of insomnia for a few nights went back to 15 mg then started experiencing it of anxiety in mornings and daytime Panic fear and also chest and heart palpitations also I read mirtazipine can cause low blood pressure now back to 7.5mg which I split in half and take half in morning and the other half at night and even this low dose can help you sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.