Mirtazapine - aching joints

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello everyone.  Is it just me, or is anyone else suffering with painful joints whilst being on Mirtazapine?  Tonight I couldn't open a jar as my thumb joint is just so painful.  My knees, by the end of the day, feel 100 years old. I take Glucosamine/Chrondotin/MSM anyway but side effects like this just make you feel more depressed.  Will this go away with time?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have developed shoulder impingement and tendonitis, and have a lot of aches and pains. However, I don't think it has anything to do with the mirtazapine.
  • Posted

I have the same. It seems to get better and then comes back, on one occasion when I was twiddling with doses I woke up with pains in every joint and musscle, I couldn't fuction for a few days and then the pain eased but throughout the year I've had several issues which I didn't have prior to starting Mirtazapine. I also had a lot of joint pain when I stopped abruptly. Now, I'm in the process of a very slow withdrawal.

I hope you'll feel better, whatever you decide smile I also got some high eye pressure, so just need to really outweigh the pros and cons as I'm sure there are both. X

• Posted

Hi 1980

What is your very slow withdrawal plan?  I would be interested to hear how the withdrawal is going, I'm sure there must be a fair way to get off these without the agony I've been reading surely?

Are you having any bad effects with the withdrawal?

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi,

I go by Cita recommendations (unfortunately they closed their services now). It's to make a small reduction of the normal dose on one day only in the first week or two and then the reduction on two separate days in the following week or two and so on. i.e. First week (or two) taking a smalker dose on Monday. Next week or two on Monday and Thursday. And it's good to stabilise before doing further reduction. In this way the withdrawal should be less severe. I'm on five reduction days in the week (3.75mg) and 7.5mg on normal days and I'm ok so far. I started 7 weeks ago.

Take care

• Posted

High eyepressure? Perhaps that explains why I feel my eyesight has deteriorated overnight?  Am having eye test next week so will see what they say about that. thanks,.
    • Posted

Mine only came up by accident. I went for an eye test as I had some light flashes (as if someone was using a camera flash on me) and blury vision. The optitian said it's all fine but the pressure is on the high end and a way more than my previous tests and she looked up all my medicines and only mirta listed this as a possible side effect.
  • Posted

I have had Tendon problems and awful knees since I started Mirtazapine, also achy elbows, I'm in the process of tapering off because I figure that's the only way I will find out if it's the drug or not.

I was a keen cyclist before I started it and now I can only do 5 miles maximum...

• Posted

Mirt has ,on the whole been great for me.No side effects as such but I do get aching knees + legs below the knee.My anx statrted with a sensation in legs below the knee and so i keep thinking that my anx is returning -even though it's not.So i'm just getting on with it.
  • Posted

This is one of the reasons I ceased taking

Mirt . It gave me symptoms similar to that

Of fibromyalgia , every joint / bone in my

Body ached . for me the side effects out weighed the benefits after more than 2 months at a dose of 15mg then 30 mg

Now on flux and doing 100 times better

• Posted

Daz, how long after stopping mirtazapie did you have to wait to feel better with no pains? Or did you start fluoxitine right away?
    • Posted

I stopped mirt cold turkey the side effects were debilitating so this

Put me off trying another med

Initially I should have fazed out the mirt and begin the flux but I didnt

Due to the bad effects of the mirt

So I was med free for roughly 3 months before I started the flux

• Posted

Thanks Daz, in those three months did you muscle and joint pain eased? I was off mirtazapine for two months but I felt very unwell the whole time. Now, I'm tying to come off it very slowly but it's good to know that the other drug could be an option!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.