Mirtazapine advice - 15mg, 30mg, extreme fatigue & weaning off it!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a bit of a long history with Mirtarzapine. I started taking it in Feb 2011 and was given 15mg. I took it for two years and I absoluutely loved it- it made me feel better and I had no problems with it at all. In July 2013 I decided to come off- I took 1 every other night for 2 months (so one packet lasted me 2 months), then 1 every 3 nights for 3 months (so one packet lasted me 3 months) then one every 4 nights for 4 months (so that one packet lasted me 4 months). Then I stopped completely. I had very little withdrawal using this method other than itchy skin & a decrease in appetite! (I did try to come off completely after I finished the packet where I took one every other night but the withdrawal was horrid!)

In the end i had to go back on them because my depression came back with a bang! I was originally put back on 15mg but after still feeling Down for 2 months the Dr upped it to 30mg. I've been on that for 5 months now and although I generally feel better, I feel sooo tired! I'm literally like a zombie everyday, I work full time which is a struggle but I'm even more tired at the weekends and I find it hard to get up and do something. I know that mirtarzapine causes tiredness but I was never really tired on the 15mg and I've read that youre supposed to be less tired on the higher doses so it's not really Malone sense to me.

I'm thinking that maybe because I came off the drug, that my body can't handle taking it again and it's too much for me.

Has anybody else had this problem? Also, has anybody upped the dose from 15mg to 30mg and been tired? Ha anybody else found that no matter how long you have been on mirtarzapine that the tiredness just doesn't go away? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm at the end of my tether! I would like to hear from people who have been on mirtazapine for a while, or people who have successfully come off it then had to go back on it.

For reference- I'm a 23 year old female who is generally active and otherwise healthy.

Also, if anybody would like to ask me any questions about how I came off mirtarzapine then I am more than happy to answer it. Please get back to me, any advice is greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Your problem is you were on a roll at 15mg , never come off a med if you feel good. You are now trying to get the same effect second time round but you body is saying no , you need a med change now . you had it and now you havent . lesson learned i hope
  • Posted

When I discussed reducing my mirtazapine with my psychiatrist, the first question I asked was "would it still work if I had to go back on it later" and the answer was "yes, just the same". I don't know yet if that's true. I'm having problems getting off it, even though I'm taking it very slowly. Dropping from 30mg to 22.5mg one night a week, then twice a week. Fine for a few weeks, then started getting feelings like electric shock through my brain and body in middle of night. But I was on it for more than 6 years, with no noticeable tiredness, or increased appetite.
  • Posted

it dont always work second time around , that why people move on to a new med. if you has been on a SSRI a d  , you could have i have just done swap to another SSRI over night  missing most of the start up effects  it called cross tapering. Mirazapine is a class were you have to withdraw  before you take a new med.The doc told you wrong she or he had no idea if the med would work second time around, only your body knows that.
  • Posted

YOUR DOC  has no idea if the med will work a second time, only your body knows that, never stop a medthat is working , golden rule
  • Posted

The problem here is....some are using anti-depressants as a means to get through the day for TOO LONG. Having to use any similar drug as a lifetime necessity is going to cause problems. Yes, they do a wonderful job at helping us all cope in a difficult time in our lives, but I suggest, they are not meant to be taken for too long. The cause of depression needs to be addressed while we are on medication and quickly. If you or anyone is on anti-depressants for more than 6 months, you need to have a serious chat with you doctor about dealing with the cause rather than the "temporary" cure.
    • Posted

I can't agree with you there, or only partly anyway. Some people do need temporary help to get through a specific problem, others need more long term medication. I think you do have to be honest with yourself and face up to your problems, but sometimes you need the drug - it's like any other chronic disorder. CBT has helped me a lot, by teaching me how to cope with my recurrent bouts of depression better, but I still need the mirtazapine and venlafaxine to keep my brain on an even keel. That said, I am trying to reduce the mirtazapine but it's an uphill struggle.
    • Posted

I disagree here aswell

if only it was that easy " just address

The real problems get to the root cause and you'll be fine " if this were true I should have been cured many many moons ago right ?

Depression is not going to be cured in 6 months some folk have it for a lifetime just like many an illness

Depression is seen as being a weak

Illness and many do not understand it

They seem to think that " you'll snap out of it " , only if that were true

Folk do not wish to suffer therefore

Meds is an option as is other treatment and in most cases longer

For 6 months

• Posted

i agree if talking situation depression , ie the wife ran off, money problems ect ect  some people though have life long depression that only meds can help an i mean for life . You would not tell a bipolar sufferer to give up meds THEY NO ITS FOR LIFE. You can chose not to take them , i did and drank instead , now i have half my body organs scattered roung the hospital floor.  PANCREAITIS  near killed my twice , now i only have meds left my drinking days are gone
  • Posted

Hey backy, most anti depressants do the same thing by trying to level out the chemicals in the brain, using mirtazapine agagain after coming off is perfectly ok, unfortunately your system has gone out of sync again and needs to be ee stabilised. Starting a new Anti depressant would just bring new side effects, I would say stay on em and ride the waves, wishing you well
  • Posted

did you not suffer any bad weight increase on remeron ie mirt  , it is a prob with most
  • Posted

You may want to think about going to 45mg. They say there is way less drowsiness at that dose. Hope you find the answers.
  • Posted

Hi Becky, I am sorry to hear that your depression came back with a bang, what a shame after all your hard work trying to withdraw slowly.  I am on 15 mg (7 months now) and although I am not ready to try to withdraw I have got some really good advice from the guys on here regarding a withdrawal method.

On the face of it I wonder if your method of wd was not right for you, at the time.  The advice I am going to choose to use if to go from 15mg every night then to liquid form 12.5mg every night for a month (or more) then 10mg, then 7.5, 5mg and so on.

I know this doesn't cover your question about restarting Mirt and it working the second time around, however I do know for sure that too quick and inappropriate reduction can bring symptoms crashing back.

I am fatigued on bad days on Mirt, meditation helps as it's like a power nap and rechargessmile  

Hope this helps.  Wishing youu well.

• Posted

I tried that method and it did not work for me. Got really sick when I got down to about 6mg. The CITA protocol seems to be the best method, and, even at that, there are WDs.

Wishing everyone luck....

• Posted

Thanks Kathy, I'm arming myself with all this info for the future - CITA ... is it a payable download or book ??
    • Posted

CITA was a web site, recently taken down due to financial difficulty. There are a few people who have the protocol written down. I will try to find them for you. I wrote it down, but it's kinda shorthand. If I can't find them, I will message you with what I have and try to break it down.
    • Posted

Hi Kathy, that would be great, forearmed is forewarned ... or something like that smile 
    • Posted

If you can PM me with your email, I can send the information, or , at least try to...lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.