mirtazapine alternative

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone know a good alternative to mirtazapine for depression and insomnia? I cant tolerate ssri or snri and doxepin didn't work for me. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello mike. I have tried most medicines in this group, SSRI. and also Tricyclic. But there is no easy solution to Anxiety, depression and Insomnia. All meds. have their side effects. Mirtazipine does work for a short period and then side effects kick in. SSRIs do work for many and have their own side effects. It is a matter of balance. Based on my experience, and following from a recent media report, Fluoexitine (Prozac) does work for depression but may not be suitable for Insomnia.And arguably has fewer side effects. The tricyclic antidepressants ( Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline,,Immipramine, doxepin etc..) are ,for many, helpful for Insomnia and depression. So it is a matter of choice and trial. Considering Doxepin did not help you, perhaps Tricyclic may not be suitable for you. You could try Fluoexitine for depression and try doing some regular relaxation exercises to help with your sleep. A half an hour walk in the evening may help. You could try St john's wart for depression and Insomnia. Many people find it useful. But make sure you take St john's wart on its own and NO other antidepressant with it. However iy your depression is bad and chronic St johns wart may not help. Hope this information is useful. BW

• Posted

Hi Akhan, fluoxetine worked well for depression years ago but I cant tolerate it now due to severe acid reflux. Im hoping one of the tricyclics will work
  • Posted

Mike I'm on venlafaxine 75mg twice a day it helps with depression for me and I take magnasium glycinate for sleep I suffered terribly comin g off mitrazapine with insomnia doctors gave me sleeping tablets n diazapam but obv I couldn't take them long term fingers crossed my sleeping is slowly getti g better but I believe it's the magnasium helping I don't take sleeping tablets or diazapam now xxx

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Sorry to jump in Mike!

Just seen your message and it’s great your sleep has improved. My doc is weaning me off Mirt this week because  I am constantly tired and feel fatigue. I have to take it every other day then stop. Last night was the first one without Mirt and I slept but kept waking up a lot so I think it will take time to normalise. I will stay on Venlafaxine and my doc might add something else next week once I am off Mirt. Xx

• Posted

The physciatrist has gave me an antihistamine too try if things get bad again but I defo think the magnasium is helping so I havnt touched the antihistamine yet. Keep in touch n don't suffer like I did for 3 weeks with no sleep . Get too your doctor if u have no sleep for days on end xxx

• Posted

I also have a bit stronger antihistamine in case (but not as strong as the one in Mirtazapine) and have benzo as last resort. I learned from the past that when depression improves sleep will also improves so you are probably sleeping better because you feel better and go to bed happier. Xxx
    • Posted

Yeah it could be that too. That's good too know if it comes bk n that antihistamine doesn't work there is a stronger one out there xx

• Posted

Hi Karen thanks for the reply! I tried Cymbalta with mirtazapine for a week and I could feel it lifting my mood until the acid reflux got so bad I had to stop sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.