Mirtazapine and constant dreaming / restless sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been taking Mirtazapine 7.5mg or 15mg for around 4 weeks now for sleeping problems / depression / anxiety (they all seem to inter-relate and feed each other).

For the first 3-4 days I thought they were brilliant - sending me to sleep and keeping me asleep longer.

However, in the last 3 weeks, I've generally tried to cut down to 7.5mg and although I generally get to sleep OK, I find myself dreaming constantly all night and very vividly. So vividly in fact that I'm waking up every hour after a dream feeling exhausted with my mind and body aching.

The dreams are usually quite stressful and involve me trying to do something which I'm putting all my energies into. I wake almost in physical pain, especially around the temples. I then nod off again into another dream!

The next day I usually feel very tired, drowsy and sometimes dizzy from such restless nights due to dreaming. This leaves me feeling too tired to exercise or doing anything apart from get myself together for work. My sinuses are usually pounding too.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Going to 7.5  made me much more sedated both day and night. Felt like sleeping all day and had no energy, but at thirty was more energized. If this helps mIrt works backwards....in that regard for most. Also I ahve not read many success storys for mIrt 45 ml. But it sounds like you won't go that high. But you might want to go with 30 less sedating. Good luck 
  • Posted

Sorry I meant to say go with 15! 

Iwas on 30 / 15/ 7.5 jad the most probles, with sleep being very groggy and feeling untested at 7.5.

• Posted

Hi David

It's like the chicken and egg - not sure which comes first, insomnia, anxiety or depression - the result seems the same though right?

Yes the vivid dreams are a well known side effect with Mirt' - they have eased now as I've been on Mirt' for around 8 months.  The "tired all the time" does seem to wear off too.

I agree with Rose, upping and downing the dose does you no favours, stick to what worked for you in the first place maybe - see how it goes.

All the very best.

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

Yes very chicken and egg. I find if I don't sleep I get more anxious byt then when I do sleep OK, I lose the anxiety and get depressed and angry.

I took 15mg last night and fell asleep quickly but I had at least 4 dreams, all of which left me feeling exhausted and my sinuses are pounding again today. I feel like I could fall asleep at any minute. I can't carry on feeling like this, I may have to change. I'll try taking it earlier tonight maybe around 7pm to try and avoid some of the drowsiness.

It doesn't seem to help with depression, it just makes me feel very sleepy.

• Posted

Hi David,  

Mirt' worked immediately for me regarding the sleep - which in turn solved the anx' which I believe caused the depression in the first place.  Yep, had the dreams too but although they were vivid - they were somehow fantastic, like I was on a high (which of course I probably was).  If I may say try not to worry about the dreams too much; are you sure it's the dreams making you feel exhasted, afterall Mirt's biggest downside is feeling fatigued, especially at the beginning, and also when we overdo, or over-worry.

I tried to look at the tiredness as a way of realising that my physical and mental planes had been through hell with the anx (acute, menacing) & dep - and took extra time to rest, trying to nap each afternoon if possible (was off work at the time).  Maybe you can't rest if you're working and Mirt' isn't for everyone, so maybe you'll need to talk to youur doc' and make a decision to change.

Wishing you well and a relaxed weekend.

• Posted

Hi I've just started taking 15mg, I'm having really vivid dreams, and feel really groggy ,mornings haven't been good anyway takes me 2+ hours to get moving,but now its even worse, ,don't know if I should keep taking them 😩

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.