Mirtazapine and Constipation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking Mirt for about a year and a half starting at 15 mg and beginning this January 30mg. From the start I had been prepared for the constipation that comes with these drugs and immediately started taking a stool softener which helped to some degree. Now fifteen months later I find myself still somewhat constipated. I have been hoping that my system would have by now become adjusted to the medication. 

Has anyone else had a similar reaction?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi james -- yes.  I told doc and he recommended MiraLax.  Have to be careful with it tho.  I took the recommended dose and thot my innards were coming out.  Now I take approx. 1/4 of a teaspoon with my morning coffee and about 2 hours later, it takes effect.

Might not do the trick for you but worth a try.  Doc told me at first to increase my fiber and use the MiraLax.  That was way too much for my system to handle.  I've been on Mirt for over 30 years at various doses and it took experimenting to get the dose right.  Another suggestion is to drink LOTS OF WATER.  I hate water so have to gag it down but it's better than sitting on the loo straining.  Be dehydrated makes con... must worse.

Hope you have an easy time increasing to 30 mgs.  

• Posted

Hi frazzled - 30 years! I've been on mirt for ten years and have read horror stories about coming off it. I kept thinking that 'one day I'll have to wean myself of this.'  Are you experiencing any detrimental effects after taking it so long? Do you think you will eventually come off it? I'm on 45mg, have had no real side effects (bit of weight gain) and it's working for me. Worried about upsetting the apple cart if I come off them...

Also, I take separate vitamins in flavoured dissolvable tablets 3-4 times daily which helps boost water intake daily. 

• Posted

Hi Wayne:   You bet I experienced a LOT of nasty side effects even at the 7.5 dose down from 30 mgs.  I could not wean off of it totally because all of the symptoms that I had to begin with (the reason I began taking it) roared back with a vengeance.  I don't think I will ever be able to wean off but then as the doc told me, all antidepressants have starting and withdrawing side effects and if this one works for me, then why withdraw. 

Since all our systems are different, it's difficult to know how you will react if you begin to withdraw.  As long as it's working for you, I'm not sure why you would want to come off.  I wanted to withdraw because I thot it was not longer working but being back on 15 mgs. I'm feeling maybe a bit hung over but that feeling goes away during the day. 

I too take several vitamins.  I insisted doc check me for B12 and it was very low.  I have an entire arsenal of vits along with digestive enzymes and probiotics that I take for my stress-induced IBS. 

I really need to boost my water intake.  I hate it and have to force myself to drink but I feel a lot better when I'm hydrated. I now can recognize the symptoms of dehydration (I was blaming some of them on Mirt). 

My advise, based on my withdrawal experience, is to stay the course.  You can experiment tappering very very slowly if you want to see how your system reacts, if you really want to get off.

Good luck either way and my best wishes to you.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice, frazzled. You are right of course - best just to stay as is and be thankful. Hope you are well and things stay that way smile
    • Posted

Was out as remeron in 1996 so no one’s been on it thirty yrs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.