Mirtazapine and constipation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have been taking mirtazapine for about 5 weeks. After initial grogginess for the first week it has been wonderful for my sleep. However, it is giving me big problems with constipation. I'll spare you the details. I am only on 15 mirt. a day at the moment. If I went up to 30 - my doctor has suggested this as an option, but I've been so enjoying the sleep benefits of 15 - would the constipation side-effect be any less? Any experiences anyone's had around this side-effect, I'd be glad to hear. Otherwise I think I may have to come off mirtazapine, as I couldn't endure the constipation problem continuing long-term. I suppose I could ask the doctor for something long-term against constipation, but I'm loath to start on a second med just to get around the effects of the first.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have mirtazapine they don't make me constipated I haven't heard of any one else having that problem.im not saying that it doesn't happen though. Are you taking anything else I have codeine as well and diazepam but I know the codeine makes me very constipated I have to take senna cods quite often

• Posted

alison, constipation is a common side effect of not only mirtazapine but nearly all antidepressants. I new to expect this and was proactive with careful diet and stool softener. In time your system should adjust to the med and return to near normal. I presently take 30mg and sleep well. Other than that it doesn't seem to do much else.

• Posted

I never knew that no wonder I'm so constipated with what I take then.i wonder why no doctor has ever told me

• Posted

Thanks for that James. How long do you think it will take for my system to adjust?
    • Posted

alison, If I am remembering correctly it took several weeks to even out but your adjustment may differ. 
  • Posted

If Mirtazipine suits you and it is helping with your sleep, anxiety/depression and any condition for which it has been prescribed for, then it may be better to continue with it. Experiencing constipation with these type of medication is fairly common. When I experienced constipation , I changed my diet by eating more vegs and pulses and drinking more water also helped. At times I take Isabgol and it helps me control the constipation problem. Check this link for further details on Isabgol www.wikihow.com/Take-Isabgol. Hope this helps. TC

• Posted

I am facing severe constipation on this drug......the side affects have been horrible.

Did you find anything to help with the constipation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.