Mirtazapine and food intolerance

Posted , 9 users are following.

Has anyone had food intolerances on this drug? It seems like I can't eat anything that has histamine in it. I start with tremors, shaking, joint pain, dizziness, rib cage pain, tinnitus, DR and DP and eye problems.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What food has histamine in it ?
    • Posted

Basically everything. It seems like I can only eat fresh fruits and veggies and fresh meat. No bananas or chocolate or left overs. Can't even chew gum anymore.

• Posted

That's kind of paradoxical.., Mirt' has a huge histamine block which folk have difficulty with once off Mirtazapine- so you might be able to work around it - search for histamine rich foods & voila.  Not heard of this intolerance whilst on Mirt before - heard of gluten intolerance due to Mirt many times.

Best wishes.  

• Posted

I'm so grateful to have found these posts. In December of 2020 I had a major food allergy reaction and my allergist said I might be sensitive to some things for a bit. I was ok for the most part staying away from high histamine foods for 2 months. Then I was doing emdr on past ptsd then my mother in law died. I had a few mild panic attacks. So I was talking wellbutrin which was making me lose weight to the point where I had to get off of it. Then I was prescribed mirtazipine for sleep. Within 10 days I have violent reaction to a vitamin that resulted in tachycardia so severe I had to call an ambulance. The allergist thought this was not unusual due to the incident in December. For the next 4 months I began to have increased sensitivity to low histamine foods like oatmeal, coconut milk, apples, mung beans, and even quiona, and broccoli. I was tested by 2 other allergists and they could not figure out what was happnening. The docs just thought I was panicking while eating. I had about half a dozen severe tachycardia episodes where my heart rate would shoot above 150 and I thought I was going to die. Eating became so scary. I ended up doing an outpatient program for anxiety because the docs were telling me the food reactions were stress related. I was put on ativan twice a day and switched to klonopin. After 8 weeks I got off of them. Then as I increased the mirtzapine I had a panic attack so severe I was shaking and almost passed out. The next 3 days I had more panic attacks. I had kept immaculate date for months on when I took what at each time each day. So the only thing different was the increase in mirtazipine from 15mg to 22mg. Then I started reseaching mirtazapine more and found this posting and then on a withdrawl forum there were about 20 other expereinces of people becoming intolerant to various foods and supplements. I almost cried with relief to know I had was not crazy. I never put it together that the troubles increased shortly after starting the mirtaziapine because I was in so much grief. This medication also causes tachycardia and qt prolongation which thank god can be reversed. I stopped it immediately and went through 2 weeks of the most horrendous withdrawl where I thought I was going to die. I'm on day 25 off of it and have started zoloft. I can't sleep without a sleeping aid, but have faith it will return to normal. I reported it to the fda and told all of my doctors.

• Posted

Oh my goodness I literally just made an account so I could reply to this. I really thought I was going insane and had convinced myself that I was having these reactions my whole life...they get so bad sometimes that even my Adderall does not pull me back out. I was nearly incapacitated today at work after having a cheeseburger. Obviously not the healthiest choice, but it would not affect anyone else this severely. I too went to get all these tests. From sleep apnea to a diabetes doctor--nothing. I couldn't believe I was reading the exact same foods you listed: oatmeal, quinoa, apples... Eating really became such a dreadful thing. Please please I would love to contact you more about this. I have not found anything until now. If you have any other resources at all that would be amazing. Not sure if you are still active on here.

• Edited

Hi! I'm so sorry I never saw this. You are welcome message me anytime. I hope you have found some healing from it.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

hey i doubt you will read this as its an old post , but looking for some re assurance . i have come off mirtazapine as of january this year. had gone from 30 to 10 mg over 2.5 years but in jan, stopped it, -as my life was on hold . up to week 7 waa fine . now,when i eat apples bread sugar certain cereals tomatoes fruit of all kinds, several hours later, i come over hot faced, light headed and dizzy, high pitch whistling in ears , not with it, - -and its scary . sounds like what you talked about . did this resolve in the end ?

• Posted

hi @Colls10

i wanted to message as i have this too, i even break out in hives and my skin is incredibly itchy. I'm 7 months off but still struggling with it. I have spoken to a few people and apparently its a slow

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.