Mirtazapine and Joint Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I've been on Mirtazapine for 2 months approximately and am currently taking 45mg per night.

Since increasing to the higher dose Ivery found that when I get up in the morning I've had excruciating pain in my lower back, hips, knees and ankles aswell as having swollen hands.

I've had chronic back pain for around 10 years now which I take slow release morphine for but the pain experience on awakening is second to none.

I need help to get up, the pain in the joints mentioned is so bad it makes me cry and simple things like walking, bending and using the toilet are awful...

The pain dissipates after approx one hour....

I had similar (but not as painful) problems on the short transition to 30mg and I out this down to the ridiculous amount of weight I gained but the last few weeks (on 45mg) have been unbearable ...

Has anyone else experienced similar joint pain?????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh bless you mulan sound's awful Iv got to say I started off with chronic pain in elbows knee's feet exc but before taking 30mg mirt have you been checked to see if your low in vitamin d deficiency?yes I had the back pain in the beginning im on my third week and aren't as bad now hope this helps
  • Posted

I never associated my stiffness and jointpain with mirt, Ive been on 45mg for six years, doc thinks its stopped working so Im in the process of weaning off mirt and on to zoloft.

I put on a LOT of weight with mirt I just thought it was the extra weight making my body stiff and sore

• Posted

Sorry for your suffering, it sounds pretty much down to the Mirt higher dose.  Does 45 mg help you more than 30mg?  

I do experience difficulty when I first get up in the morning, feet and knees mainly, especially feet, and now that I've tapered from 15 mg to about 5mg it isn't any better.  I seem to sleep deeper mostly, and I wonder if this contributes as perhaps the fact I'm not turning over so much may make the circulation slow up?

The mix of the slow release sedative of Mirt and the slow release morphine you mention may surely slow the heart rhythm ??  Low blood pressure is on the list, could this contribute also I wonder?

Doctors may not know about the side effects, you have to be youur own master of course when dealing with the extremely powerful Mirt' ~  I hope you can resolve this as it sounds intolerbale for you.

• Posted

mirt in less 15 mg dose may be cause deep sleep

• Posted

Thank you guys....

I definitely feel there's a strong connection between the higher dose Mirtazapine and the pain.

If it was just stiffness I wouldn't be too fussed but I've genuinely never felt pain like it.

When I can eventually get out of bed, getting down the stairs is a sight to behold.

I literally cling on to the banister and each step brings horrific pain in my ankles/feet/knees/hips and back. I look like a 90 year old arthritic lady as opposed to a 42 year old.

After an hour and pain killers the pain subsides.... my GP has a tendency to brush off the side effects (which I've tried numerous times to raise) and balances them out with the positive effects ie: control of my anxiety

It's a difficult call really. .... I feel there has to be similar products out that that will help with my anxiety and insomnia with less side effects???

I appreciate you replies and thank you for taking the time to do so xx

• Posted

Well if it doesn't calm down within a few weeks, giving the higher dose of Mirt' to settle, maybe ask your doctor for an alternative to Mirt, another AD that also has a slow release sedative contained (as Mirt does).  Thids should cover your anxiety, but of course you will then have to slow taper off Mirt, hmmmm ... not easy for you is it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.