Mirtazapine and metabolic syndrome? Is the possible?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was on mirtazapine for around 8 months. I gained 11 kg (25 pounds) I coudnt lose any weight whilst on the drug but now that I've discontinued for a few months I still cannot lose weight. Has this happened to anyone else?

My psychiatrist said to see a GP?????? And the GP said to see a dietician???

So I'm going to see a dietician soon. I'm getting my bloods done too.

Please give me advice I don't know what to do I'm beside myself.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That is very strange. A number of us on this forum are losing weight whilst on mirtazapine, and usually people who stop the drug drop weight very quickly. I would think something else is going on, perhaps thyroid problems. I would ask for bloods to be done as other things can cause weight gain such as vitamin D deficiency. Also, be absolutely sure you are not eating more than your body needs each day. Even when doing lots of exercise, it is surprisingly little. I am tall and I do four hours a day hard physical work with horses. My daily calorie needs are only 2126 calories. If I had a desk job, they would be 1600 calories. That is just to stay the same weight.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for reply. I feel I should mention I am eating fairly well and exercising a lot. Hiking, bike riding and swimming sometimes all in a day!!!

Also I always had a fast metabolism before and I could eat whatever I wanted and I never went above 50kg now I'm 62kg and I can't lose it! I'm really devastated that my body is ruined and my metabolism. My metabolism was one thing I was greatful for now I have nothing

• Posted

Give it a good year I was in the same boat now the weight is going so don't expect it to happen all at once x
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your response nicki16559. I'm still quite sceptical but I have a little bit of hope after what you said. I don't mind if the weight takes a while I just hope I can lose weight. I'm beginning to think I'm only going to be gaining now for the rest of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.