Mirtazapine and muscle pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been prescribed mitazapine (15mg) for depression and sleep problems, and have been suffering muscle pains across my back and then in my chest. This has become intolerable, and, so after 2 weeks, I have stopped taking the mirtazapine. Whilst other symptoms I was expeiencing (exhaustion, dry mouth) have ceased, the muscle pains continue.

Has anyone any idea how long this may continue after being on the AD for such a short period of time? I am reluctant to seek any further advice from my GP on this matter.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I stopped medication just over a week ago.
  • Posted

Why start an anti depressent if you are going to stop after such a short time. In the grand scheme of things se wise u had it pretty mild id say. U have to b prepared to put up with the side effects unless there totally unbearable but it doesnt sound like urs were. U need to give them 4-6 wks to really evaluate it the first 2 wks r the worst then small improvements from there or not to accurately evaluate the med properly other wise its just a waste of time 
    • Posted

My GP suggested mirtazapine to help my sleep problems rather then as an AD. I was very concerned about taking it, and even went back tlo my GP to query it, as I was very concerned about [possible side effects, particularly weight gain as I am strugggling to lose weight. She suggested trying it, and maybe cutting down to 1 15mg tablet every other day if I had problems. At first I didn't recognise the back pain as a side effect, but as a result of extra exercising I'd been doing. I dropped down my dose in response to other side effects (dry mouth and headaches), before recognising the back pains as a possible side effects. As I'd only been taking mirtazipine for a couple of weeks I more or less decided to go cold turkey. Other side effects have long gone, but the back pains have spread to my shoulders and chest. The latter causes my problems when exercising, and all are contributing to even poorer sleep then i was suffering before. Iam now wondering if these pains arde the results of wothdrawal, or some other new problem, although the timing is very suspicious. I thonk I can rule pout the exercise after 2 or 3 weeks of relative inactivity.

• Posted

Hi not sure about the muscle pain but if you can get off this drug then go it as it’s got horrendous withdrawals when you do come off it try a keep away from it
    • Posted

Couldn't agree more Caroline! I'm horrified at the problems after only daking the drug for a couple of weeks,  My heart goes out to those who have been taking it for a long period.

• Posted

I’m really suffering trying to wd but got to as this drug is horrendous 
  • Posted

Did anyone find they needed to wee more on this drug,
    • Posted

Yes. And very yellow in colour. I honestly thought I had another health problem at one point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.