Mirtazapine and night shifts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone doing night shifts and on mirtazapine? Do you take it in the morning? Sadly it only helps a bit with sleeping and never feel drowsy on it, so wondering whether to take it normally and at night.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I do about two (separate) night shifts per month. I'm currently tapering down from 30mg. One of the reasons I'm wanting to come off Mirt is cos of night shifts. I'm also taking Venlafaxine. Mirt does (at the moment) knock me out for a few hours so yes I take it in the morning after my night shift. But then of course I take another dose in the evening of that day as I generally only do one night at a time. I've only had this job a few months and so far it's not seeming to muck up my system too much with this swapping dose times. Personally I don't think I could work after taking a dose. It would def make me feel very odd and would potentially make mistakes. But obv I can't speak for you... 

• Posted

HI 2006Rachel,,,,not too sure about this,, but i would have thought if you take it before you start your night shift it could make u drousy and would not want that to happen,,surely it will be better to take it before u are going to bed after work ,,this way will give it more chance to respond too your body when u are resting,,what mg are u on also what for,,,ask CALMER SHE WILL KNOW MORE THAN ME,,,,,,GOOD LUCK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BLUESY
  • Posted

Thanks sadiejane and bluesy in the end i took 30mg before I went to bed in the morning (could hardly walk back from school drop off though as made me drowsy) and then the normal 45mg later on before normal bed time. Seemed okay but the big worry was that I actually felt better at work and without the mirtazapine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.