Mirtazapine and propranolol

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi guys.

Was prescribed these at the same time. 40mg propranolol twice a day, 15mg mirtazapine at bedtime. I'm one week in.

Anyone else been put on this combination? What are your experiences? Thanks, Ant.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I am taking 15 mg of Mert but was wondering what the Isoproponolol is for? Is it for anxiety?

• Posted

As I understand it, the mirtazapine is to address my depression, the propranolol is like a baseball bat to my anxiety. And it really works, within two hours of the first tablet, all the adrenaline that was making me nauseous and shaky every day was gone, and as a result I find daily situations easier to cope with, which in turn immediately raised my mood.

I'm still waiting for the mirtazapine to have an effect other than weird dreams, but I have high hopes now. The downside is a different kind of mild nausea and fuzzy headaches, but I'm told they will pass, I'll be sticking with it.

• Posted

Glad to hear you're making progress. I have some anxiety too but I'm not taking anything besides Mertazapine. Some days are better than others. The Mertazapine is mainly for insomnia. They say it's not addictive but that's not true. You get addicted to having a good night sleep.

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I have experienced mirtazapine and propranolol. The latter...the beta blocker I did not like .  it was prescribed as an safe alternative to diazapam. It just me feel physically unwell if I took any exercise...even just walking . Not for me

• Posted

Really glad you are feeling okay on both.  Propanolol is generally for high blood pressure and can make you feel like you are carrying a ball and chain on your ankle.  It would kill me.  Bear in mind that mirtazapine is a known cortisol suppressant.
  • Posted

Hi

I have been on Mirt now for 7 years and recently was precribe Propranolol due to palpitations caused by Hyperthyroid. I take Propranolol 40mg 2 times a day and 30mg Mitt at bed time. I notice am having really problem sleeping. Please any advice?

• Posted

Hi Charles.

I'm now on 30mg Mirt and 40mg Prop twice a day.

I too am having disturbed sleep. Before I started Mirt and Prop I had no problems sleeping.

However, the benefits I'm getting in terms of reduced anxiety and improved mood make it worth a bit of sleep disturbance.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up