Mirtazapine and Seroquel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Long story short I came off of Clonazepam 1.0 mg after around 3 months give or take and for anyone else who has came off benzodiazepines would attest please use them only as a last option.

My doctor put me in 50 mg of seroquel while going through the withdrawal phase to help with insomnia which he wants to increase which I'm not doing as I already take 22.5 mg of Mirtazapine. I've had horrible head pressure and headaches during my 17 days off of Clonazepam which I've attributed to withdrawal from it.

My question is for people who've done or know about Seroquel, is it possible that taking Seroquel is making my headaches or head pressure worse? I don't want to stay on this long term as I feel it will just be another medicine to work off of and was wondering if people had these issues with Seroquel as I don't know whether I'm coming or going coming off Clonazepam while using Seroquel as a stop gap..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Congrats for finally being off clonazepam Rob. You can check that off your list. You're still in withdrawal from it so be patient it could take a month to two to be rid of any symptoms.

As for the seroquel, Is it just for sleep or other reasons?

• Posted

Thank so much Cheryl even though I'm still reaping the rewards of Clonazepam but hopefully that ends in the near future..

The Seroquel is to help with sleep as my anxiety was quite high as you can imagine coming off Clonazepam. My doctor wanted me to push the dose but I'm done playing around with all these medications and don't want to take it too long since I'm on Mirtazapine. I'm thinking about dropping to 25 mg so it's easier to get off of and I'm concerned about having to deal with more side effects by staying on 50 mg or going higher.

• Posted

Rob,

I asked because Seroquel is a powerful antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression etc. It can pose some bad side effects to some. Doctors use it as an off label sleeping pill when other sleeping pills don't work. I don't know your entire mental health history and pass prescriptions so I can't advise too much nor do I suggest you not listen to your doctor as he/ she knows you better.

But if I were to make one comment I would say the mirtazapine is enough for your sleep if you feel it can work on its own.

• Posted

Cheryl,

I agreed to taking it when I was first coming off of the Clonazepam and didn't really look into it or did I care what I was taking because I felt so bad. I still don't feel great by a long shot but I've calmed down a lot and I'm trying to deal with the side effects better than at first.

I have the same concerns about the seroquel now that I did a little research on it and I don't have schizophrenia or bipolar issues I just had depression which led to my insomnia. I did go down to 25 mg last night and still fell asleep ok but I didn't sleep as long but I got enough to get by ok. I feel that the Clonazepam is causing most if not all of the bad side effects I'm dealing with but I certainly don't want to add anything else on because this is already the worst I've ever felt in my entire life.

• Posted

Hi rob03933

can i ask how you're doing?

how did mirtazapine and seroquel go?

I've been on mirtazapine for 3mths for insomnia leading to GAD and depression. its not doing the job for GAD or depression, i have bad headaches, fuzzy head sensations, stomach problems and anxiety, off work several mths, can't speak much depersonalisation. Dr wants me to try seroquel but I'm reluctant as don't have bipolar. SSRIs are out as well as alcohol abuse 20yrs ago messed up stomach. any advice gratefully received.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.