Mirtazapine and side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Same comments about the side effects of Mirt. I have been taking it @ 30mg for 7 weeks following a "can't cope with things anymore" period and because sertaline did not kick in after a month. I was also not sleeping well .

have been having sore legs, elbows and back lately especially in the morning. Plus I feel really groggy in the morning and it takes me I told my GP about this but he didn't think there was a link with Mirt. I've reduced it to half tablet a night and things are better although I'm still groggy am.

As to the munchies it's true and I try not to snack. I am slim just now but I know I'm eating more. Planning to go off it and just take propanolol for anxiety. The idea of putting on weight stresses me out after all the effort doing exercise.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Mirt is the worst drug iv ever come across.. never known so many side effects. My pdr didn't want to no .. said never heard of weight gain problems!! Made me want to pull my hair out couldn't even tell her the rest of the side effects. I was pt on venlafaxine & can happily say I feel alot better . Good luck to you. I found sirtraline not to good main side effect I couldn't stop yawning.
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon. I'm definetly coming off it. I had lost appetite on Sertraline and my doc said Mirtz would restore it. Indeed it did.

I'd rather take a half zoplicone to sleep which is the only good thing about Mirtz. Reading all the thread I think best to stop now then get hooked to a poisonous drug. All the best to you!

• Posted

Mirt is actually used for anorexics to make them eat .. alot of people with depression have weight issues including me ..it's an evil drug. Alot of people wean off it ..I didn't I came straight off and I think 2-3weeks later went on ven ..I took zop myself now & then during that time. I cnt believe any1 is put on mirt it should be banned I turned into an old pear shaped woman well before my time with all the aches & pains ..eye sight problems & weight gain. It was like torture. 4months I stuck it out 😢
  • Posted

Have you taken propranolol before?  It was originally intended for high blood pressure and minor heart complaints.  It can make you feel absolutely awful, my mother was on it and my uncle for a while but it gave her a cough and he felt like he was carrying a ball and chain around his ankle.  I wouldnt take it anyway, as I suffer mild asthma.
  • Posted

Just to say the weight gain on mirtazapine isn't inevitable, I haven't put on any weight in 6 years on the medication, and I haven't taken any special measures to keep it off.
    • Posted

Your very lucky pixie your 1 of the few. It's very well known for it. My phyciatrist friend also told me this where the NHS seem to keep it from you.
  • Posted

hi,i have all your side effects-the groggines and all day lethargy is reason i am slowly coming off it. (down to 11.55 mg from 15).weight gain is approx 2 stone .i have been on it 19 months.It isnt an awful drug-i took it coz i had a bit of a crisis and anxiety was incredibly bad (i paced and paced for hours and days at a time -continuously).i am finding it quite hard to come off and yet a mate can just stop with no problem at all -we are all different.So it saved me.Good luck in your decision
  • Posted

The weight gain and excruciating hip pain were making me so miserable that  it negated the initial benefits of mirtazapine and made me think it was worth the risk of stopping cold turkey after five months of 30mg.  Hip pain went within 24 hours and I've lost 2stone in 7 weeks since stopping.  By all accounts I've been lucky, I had a few days of horrible anxiety after being drunk a month after and currently have had abdo pains for the last two days (but that is very possibly unrelated, just aware others have had that on withdrawal) but I'll take that over how rotten I felt on it laterally.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.