Mirtazapine and side effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've been on 15mg for less than two weeks. From day one I've had fidgety legs in my sleep. I've been kicking out. I've also been shouting. Last night I walked into the kitchen, had a go at my partner and went back to bed. Does this sound familiar to anyone? She says I'm awful and she's not getting any sleep. Will it pass

what other side effects are common here?

I'm coming off citalopram 40mg while taking these. I've been told these don't affect your sex drive like citalopram do. This is why I've been prescribed them. I'm worried I'll put on weight with them too

help please

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I've been on 15mg since November I didn't get the restless legs until 2 weeks ago hoping it will pass I have put on alot of weight with this med I couldn't take to citalopram but am ok with miratazpine give it a few weeks if it dint pass go back to your doctor

• Posted

Hi I'm taking 30mg of mirt and I have to say I've put weight on. I'm a big girl and now I'm bigger!! As for the nights... I have awful nights where I can't sleep I'm agitated I'm having a go at my poor hubby. All I can say is I hope it all settles down with time. Your not on your own I know how you feel. Hold in there xx

• Posted

Hi, I’ve been on 15mg for just over a year. The first few weeks I had vivid dreams but no other side effects. But I have gained weight. Mirtazapine does increase the appetite but if you make the right food choices then you shouldn’t gain too much. Good luck 
  • Posted

I had gastric bypass a number of years ago so don't want to put weight back on. Am gonna start exercising more and try to be careful with the food.

I'm on Zopiclone anyway so am sleeping like a log hence why I know nothing about what is happening when I'm asleep, and why it doesn't wake me up. I'm hoping it calms down too

• Posted

I had such restless legs in the beginning (I’ve been on Mirtazipine for 6-7 months now). It passed, for me, about a month in. 

I had to stop taking Citalopram before I started Mirt, it was gradually reduced and then I had to have a break of about week before starting another medication.  

• Posted

I've had to reduce to 20mg for two weeks, then go down to 10mg for two weeks, then stop

• Posted

i take mirt and had restless leg syndrome really bad ,so much so i could not sleep at all for it .the mirt is to make me sleep but have to take parkinson disease tables to stop  the jumpy legs and kicking out,  which they do. whether it the mirt that's causing  the leg problems  i don't know, would  have too stop both to find out what would happen but then id get no sleep

• Posted

Hi brit, i experienced all that you mentioned. When i experience that stuff i take my blanket and go to the couch. I have a decreased libido and put on 40 lbs. Everyone is different, please keep an open mind. When i went on it for insomnia it worked very well in the beginning. You are on it for a reason, i am going to guess depression, perhaps? It is a very effective drug with a quicker onset than most a/d's. Good luck, open mind.

• Posted

Yeah depression and anxiety. Open mind kept. My eating habits haven't changed yet. Citalopram ruined my sex drive and I was told this wouldn't affect it which is why I've been put on it instead. I've tried not taking my Zopiclone with it but couldn't sleep so had to take it again.

• Posted

Here I am still awake I can never sleep just lately an when I do I have a job to wake up. Miratazpine hasn't changed my sex drive but I have alot of aches and pains from it in my joints although my depression isn't to bad the 15mg doesn't do alot for the anixety

• Posted

I would test drive it for a bit and weigh the pros and cons. You will know what you can live with. But i would keep educated on it. Alot of drs only know textbook so experience in taking it is relevant. Some stuff waxes and wanes, too. You will know. I just wouldnt tinker up and down with the dosage in order to troubleshoot symptoms. Peace
  • Posted

You will most definitely put on some weight.i went back on them again to put weight back on as I was so thin and I have.15mg isn't as bad for weight gain it's when and if you go higher this is only from my experience and a few other things off other people

• Posted

carol, i went from 100 to 140lbs on 15 mg in 4months. For me, thats a problem. My cholesteral is very hi as well. All i ate and am still eating are salads once daily. Glad your experience is better.
  • Posted

I tried it for a short time. I couldn’t tolerate the restless legs. I was getting no sleep. When I did start to fall asleep I would have such vivid dreams it would partial wake me up and yet still be dreaming. It was crazy. There are many other drugs to try to put up with that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.